cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

How do I stop BT hounding us for payment of someone else's account?

We have had a number of letters from debt collection agencies on behalf of BT and they are hounding us for payment of an account that has absolutely nothing to do with us. The account is for an address in a completely different part of the country where we have never lived. We have already spoken with the agencies, raised it to Action Fraud and provided BT with the relevant details but to no avail. BT have said the matter is closed but they still send the demands.

How can we get BT to recognise that this debt is not ours?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: How do I stop BT hounding us for payment of someone else's account?

Would personally just bin them. Certainly wouldn't waste time phoning debt collectors.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Just to add it's nothing to do with BT once it get's to debt collectors and trying to get debt collectors to believe anything is impossible. They won't waste time trying to collect a debt unless it's worth a few thousand and they know that the person named will be at the address.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 4 of 7

Actually the debt collection agencies have been fine, it's BT that is the problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

I have tried ignoring them, but  "she" gets very stressed every time a demand appears. They're not doing her health any good, I just need to get them stopped.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

If BT have passed a debt to a collection agency then BT are out of the picture. Collection agencies buy the debt. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Sounds like a job for Citizens Advice

0 Ratings