cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dos
Message 1 of 7

How have you found your customer service experience with BT? Am i the only one?

Hello everyone

I normally wouldn't be bothered posting on an internet forum about a customer service experience but i wanted to know about how others feel about BT's customer service.

Below is a really quick summary of my ongoing issues with BT.

In February 2015 i noticed that my broadband speed was really really slow. I just presumed it was because I was using the internet at peak times such as the evening. My speed was on average about 2mps. At this time, we were also planning our wedding in another country so were quite reliant on using the internet for video calls, email etc to get everything arranged. As it was quite a stressful and busy time i didn't formally notify BT of the slow speed until June because i had alot more free time after our wedding had happened. After many conversations with BT advisors they agreed to send out an engineer to check what the issue was. 

On the 13th July the engineer came out and told me that BT had capped our broadband speed at around 2mps for no obvious reason and that i wouldn't be liable for paying for his visit as it wasn't me that had caused the fault.  I thanked the engineer and was told that BT would be in contact. After numerous further attempts to get to speak to the appropriate team about compensation failed i presumed that BT were still looking into my complaint. 

Just last friday i got a notification from my bank that my account was overdrawn. When i looked at my account i seen that BT had charged me £129.99 for the engineers visit! I asked BT to call me back to discuss this but it didn't happen. Ive just spent a good part of a sunday afternoon trying to reason with BT over the phone and was told that the team that deals with these issues doesn't work on sundays and there was no manager available to speak to me but that a supervisor would call me back. 

I manage in a customer service environment myself for a living and maybe i am expecting too much, but i am regularly shocked at the level of BT's customer service. The main issues that I've found:

-BT don't do what they said they would do. For example when they say they will call you back or send a transcript of an online chat

-front line staff don't have any real power to do anything. In fairness they do try their best but i think there is a lack of training given by BT based on my own experiences 

-each time you call BT you are talking to someone else who doesn't understand your complaint and you spend 10 mins explaining instead of having either one point of contact or an IT system where the staff can quickly see a summary of your complaint

-there is a lack of responsibility and everyone seems to trying to find the quickest way to pass the problem off to someone else

I have been quite reasonable and made it clear to BT about what it will take to resolve my compaint without the need to go to the communocations ombudsman or take legal action but they just seem to ignore it. Ive asked for a refund of the money I paid from February-July and a small gesture of compensation for the distress and inconvenience caused.

Generally there seems to be total lack of common sense within BT's customer service department and many problems that could be resolved very quickly escalate into something easily avoidable.  For example, I've asked on numerous occasions over the last 2 months to have one point of contact about my complaint and for someone to review everything and let me know what the outcome is. BT needs to, in my opinion, spend some of the money they paid for football rights on revamping their customer service team. There is no point having an excellent product offering if the customers such as myself consistently have negative experiences.

I wanted to know has anyone else had a similar experience? Maybe if enough of us shout loudly about our experiences something will change within BT and others will have a better customer service experience in future. I've heard that Martin Lewis is always looking for us to share our stories.

Thanks for taking the time to read Smiley Happy 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: How have you found your customer service experience with BT? Am i the only one?

Hi Dos,

I would like to take a look at the details of your complaint. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
cliff3750
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Re: How have you found your customer service experience with BT? Am i the only one?

I have just joined the forum in desperation and frustration with BT service. I reported a fault with my broadband at the beginning of September. To cut a long story short I discovered my line had been crossed with another customers line in the BT cabinet who did not have broadband.  I had to wait 4 days to get the problem resolved, I then received a bill showing calls I couldn't possibly made. I have rung BT over 12 times sent 3 letters to Durham (one recored delivery) requesting action and resolution of the billing issues. India have promised call-backs which didn't happen and in desperation I advised and cancelled my direct debit. Guess what, within 48 hours I received a letter from Durham BT billing dept requesting payment. I rang them today explaining I am in dispute with BT and have been told a high level complaint has been raised vol12-112049461145. They have extended any action on their part by 15 days. I was also told a manger would ring me today at 12am, that hasn't happend!! Quite frankly you could make it up, the incompetence of the company is unbelivable. I have no idea how this is going to get resolved as BT cannot communicate by any media unless it's to do with them extracting money.  Can anyone help?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.

They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are a UK based team of people, who take personal ownership of your problem.

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 5 of 7

@cliff3750 wrote:

I have just joined the forum in desperation and frustration with BT service. I reported a fault with my broadband at the beginning of September. To cut a long story short I discovered my line had been crossed with another customers line in the BT cabinet who did not have broadband.  I had to wait 4 days to get the problem resolved, I then received a bill showing calls I couldn't possibly made. I have rung BT over 12 times sent 3 letters to Durham (one recored delivery) requesting action and resolution of the billing issues. India have promised call-backs which didn't happen and in desperation I advised and cancelled my direct debit. Guess what, within 48 hours I received a letter from Durham BT billing dept requesting payment. I rang them today explaining I am in dispute with BT and have been told a high level complaint has been raised vol12-112049461145. They have extended any action on their part by 15 days. I was also told a manger would ring me today at 12am, that hasn't happend!! Quite frankly you could make it up, the incompetence of the company is unbelivable. I have no idea how this is going to get resolved as BT cannot communicate by any media unless it's to do with them extracting money.  Can anyone help?

Hi Cliff3750,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum.  I cannot apologise enough for the experience you have described in your post.  This is not acceptable.

Please drop me an email, you will find our contact link, under the 'About me' section of my profile.  Just click on my username (SeanD)

Cheers

Sean

Community ManagerSeanD
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
ainsworth26
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

I'm still fighting BT from 25th July 15 regarding my account My complaint is in the hands of the Ombudsman Clearly told twice by BT and the engineer that i would incur no charges Just renewed my package and low and behold i have a 129.99 charge on my October bill for an engineer visit on 5th August Wouldn't mind but they deducted my compensation of £31.90 from my September bill with no sign of this engineer charge Also been informed that i wasn't entitled to any compensation even though i had no broadband for 10 days Customer service is diabolical
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Hi ainsworth26,

Thanks for posting back.  SeanD offered you help on your own thread here

Follow the steps he gave you to send us over your details and we'll pick it up that way.

Cheers,

Robbie

Community ModeratorRobbieMac
Show your appreciation!
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings