Beginner
retired2

Re: How much do calls cost to 0844 numbers?

I am on BT anytime and this includes calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers but not 0844.

If I am asked to call an 0844 number I always check the "Saynoto0870.com" website for alternative numbers. You can usually find a free (0800) number or a geographical number from where they will transfer you. If on an anytime call plan it only costs you your time to try the geographical number to see if you can be transferred anyway.

If I can't find an alternative to the 0844 number unless it is "life or death" I will NOT deal with that company.

Mythos

Well said, retired2, the sneakiness of these chargeable numbers is annoying, and one is aware it is completely deliberate as the chargeable numbers more or less mimic the free numbers. BT know this and should be ashamed of themselves. Some honesty from companies such as this would go a long way to improving their reputations.

"Say no to 0877" is the best website there is, and one I have used greatly before AND after signing with BT for their "Anytime" package. Pass on the word!

It is such a shame that "deviousness" is now the watchword for British based companies. I am not against them making profits, as long as it is an open one gained by trading, but not by charging extra to call them for information and so on.

Distinguished Guru
DS

Hi Mythos and welcome

I think you'll find that since BT introduced the free calls to 0845 and 0870, it's the business's themselves that have decided to change their phone numbers to 0844.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
smiffi

Businesses making sneaky profits is bad enough but when it is your Doctor! I did look on Saynoto0870.com to see if they had another number but there wasn't one. I did however find another number on a different website so I rang it and got the recorded message that this number does not accept incoming calls!!!
Beginner
eleckykey

my partener has to use 0844 numbers for her doctors appointments, her last call lasted 2.06mins and we have been charged £0.22, the last call was about 30secs longer and this was charged at £0.27

jimat38

Try 'Sayno to 08700 Numbers' website. This give geographical altenatives for many rip-off 08 prefix numbers.

Gillybags

I'm new to the Forums so hope I have got this right. Sometimes you can't avoid an 0844 number unfortunately. In desperation, after long term problems on my PC I finally contacted Microsoft UK on an 0844 number. After telling them the problem they transferred me to a technician in the USA and after about 5 minutes I asked how long it was going to take as the call would cost me money. We are on the Broadband Anytime call plan but this was not. The technician promptly said in that case he would call me back, took my number and did so. He was on the phone about an hour but finally fixed my problem on remote. I have just checked the phone bill on line and that initial call cost £4.06! So if anyone gets into a similar situation why not ask to be called back? They can only say no but its worth a try.

Guru
toekneem

[ Edited ]

eleckykey wrote:

my partener has to use 0844 numbers for her doctors appointments, her last call lasted 2.06mins and we have been charged £0.22, the last call was about 30secs longer and this was charged at £0.27

There are a lot of Doctors surgeries that use the 0844 number system

Primary Care Trusts have been instructed to amend GP contracts to ensure that the cost of calls made to surgeries is no higher than calling a local number from a landline, which is around 4p a minute.

But some have still not fully complied

toekneem
http://www.no2nuisancecalls.net

(EASBF)

Try-SAYNOTO0870

I try to use the SAYNOTO0870 site which lists orinary landlines for many chargeable numbers.  These are often in place for calling from outside the UK but can be used in the UK too.  If a number isn't available I have in the past when particularly irritated written pointing out that I know it costs the company a lot more to reply in writing than on a phone call.  Email if poss. then you don't pay for a stamp and you have a written reply to refer to in case of a dispute.

Beginner
charl1eboy

I think that you will find that BT charge only a nominal (normal) amount, the call price is increased by a company called Telecoms world PLC who use 0844, I suspect the profit is shared between the company that uses this carrier, my GP practice were using a 0844 number but because of complaints by patients just use BT numbers.