Beginner
tinkerbellretired

Re: How much do calls cost to 0844 numbers? a rip off

I am a Virgin customer.   Not by choice but necessity.  No BT line here, only cable.   Phoned Virgin last night to check on price they charge for 0844 numbers.   Answer 24p per min.   Have now upgraded my already v. expensive package by 75p per month so that all 084.. nos are included in my free 250 mins.   I totally agree with retired2 who avoids companies providing only 0844 nos.   However I spoke to Country Collection this am. and they insist that they use 0844 as it is a local charge call.   Obviously from what I've read on this forum this is not the case.   I strongly object to paying premium rate calls to companies from whom I intend to purchase articles.

The other point I think one needs to be aware of relates to using 'say no to 0870' to find an alternative number.   As soon as you are connected, ask what number you are connected to.   I did this on the advice of a Virgin assistant and discovered I was on the 0844 number I'd been trying to avoid, even though I had dialled the geographical number provided by the 'say no....' website.

So be warned!!!

colapops

Re: How much do calls cost to 0844 numbers?

Hi just to let you there is an alternative number, because I use it.

its 0800 056 6066 and when you get the option to speak to someone its 9

Free from a landline number (Not from a mobile phone)

Hope that helps

Beginner
tinkerbellretired

colapops thanks for the number.   I tried it and got Santander!   However I've now discovered how to check the cost.   seems it depends on the 3 digits following the 0844.   quite a long process involved in checking this out, so depending on time available, may or may not be worthwhile.

alphaTALK

Pricing for 0844 numbers is tricky because there are a number of price bands that exist. As good practice, the company using the number should advertise the price the caller should expect to pay per minute, but this may be left off on things like business cards, letterheads or similar.

In general, 0844 numbers will fall into one of the following price brackets:

• 1p per minute
  • 3p per minute
  • 5p per minute
  • 7p per minute

For additional assistance, please visit our alphaTALK web page about 0844 numbers.

Lulu--555

[ Edited ]

I was charged £1.15 for 13 seconds when I called BT from talk talk as only just switched and needed to querie a bill, this was the number they gave me.... If they can't get money from you one way they will another! NEVER gain will I go to BT! theieing B*****s

Buckets

Does the charge get passed onto the company being called at all? CSL now sofaworks keeps you waiting up to an hour a time. I had to call them numerous times from a mobile waiting almost an hour each time. Given their shocking service I would think many others are in the same boat. If the company benefits then this feels like a scam to me.
polishatnewport

Hello to all,

I am very new to this but being concerned that I am expected to dial an 0844 335 number to contact Renault UK's Customer Services Department at Rickmansworth, in order to discuss a delayed delivery of a fully financed new car purchase, I also have needed to search for 0844 costs. 

Due to a 'system' fglitch withinor between, so I believe and allegedly contend, a Renault dealership/Renault's RCI Finance Services and their difficult to communicate with Customer Services or Customer Relations departments at Renault UK, such that I am firmly convinced that "It was all due to a 'That's Life' with Esther Rantzen type 'Job's Worth' situation".

Despite all my best efforts the collection/delivery of such vehicle was delayed such that two days insurance was written off but that was only worth a couple of quid ... yes, but my money!

However to use the 0844 335 0000 number for such contact was going to further cost me 5.105 pence per minute and not the 2p which is easily found for an 0844 number.

So online I found that 0800 040 7344 took me direct  into Rickmansworth's Renault Business's Fleet Department such that a respondent, on circa six plus occassions, connected me to the Renault Department necessary in order to express my concerns.  Mainly the Customer Relations Department.

Should one dial 0844 335 0000 the the third menu choice happens to be 'CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS' .... if ever a leading company, viz: “110 years of writing and rewriting automobile history in 118 countries” should admit to such FAILURE then no wonder the country is in such a mess!!!

Always search out an 0800 number!!

Pleased to join you, "polishatnewport"