Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spock999
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

I need help with for my aging mother-in-law

Go to solution

My wife and I are trying to manage my mother-in-laws finances at a distance of 200 miles. She is nearly 90 and suffers from dementia. Her bills are paid by direct debit but she doesn't handle correspondence at all well and we need to have her correspondence sent to us so that we can take action as appropriate

Our efforts by searching BT online help and by talking to customer services have been very frustrating. The assumption is that we are either looking to help her use the services or that she will be able to resolve things by phone.

Could anyone please tell us what we need to do. I think BT needs to be more aware of the issues of helping older and dementai sufferers manage their affairs.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: I need help with for my aging mother-in-law

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @spock999,

I'm sorry to hear that your Mother-In-Law isn't well. If you take a look at www.bt.com/poa, it will give you some useful information on how you would go about setting up Power of Attorney for your Mother-In-Law account.

Once the Power of Attorney has been set up BT would be able to change all the correspondence details over to yours. 

Have a look at that website and let know know how you get on?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
spock999
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the info PaddyB. We have a POA and we are both attorneys. However, registering it with BT seems OTT. All we want is to see her correspondence (so that we can check off her bank statements and oversee things) everything else is in place.

The other utility company's tell you send a letter explaining the situation, giving our contact details and signed by both my wife and her mother. That is sufficient to get the correspondence diverted and they then know the situation. What we are really after is where to send the information.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @spock999,

If you take a look at Power of attorney, Appointee and BT, at the bottom of that page the address details are -

BT Customer Correspondence Centre
Providence Row
Durham
DH98 1BT

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
spock999
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you.

0 Ratings