cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmk2
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

I think I am being charged twice for line

Our Broadband package has not changed for a long time, before considering an upgrade to fibre I wanted to check existing pricing structure, it was then I realised that we look to being charged twice for line rental, since I went  to Direct Debit billing to get a small reduction.   Our products are listed as:

Broadband Unlimited £40.50 a month - says clearly  including line rental (and confirmed in an upgrade offer).

Unlimited Anytime Calls Broadband £10.11 a month

Our monthly Direct Debit was £66 - (now in latest bill is showing to be £89.50 after increase in April)

The increase is explained since the £66.0 has not been able to over the bills (no extras, a few small charges extra above the unlimited anytime free calls, a few pounds), so hence an increase to £89.50.

I decided to actually look at a bill carefully for 3 March 2019 (just as an example I had downloaded a pdf for)

It shows under Rental and other charges Unlimited Anytime Calls 3 Mar - 2 June 19 £89.94.

says:  This is the cost of your line rental (and your calling plan) at £29.98 a month charged etc. ....

SO - this appears to me to show double charging for line rental ?  I can only go back on line some 15 months and do not have any paper bill to see when this changed.

Am I right ?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: I think I am being charged twice for line

£90 a quarter, around £30 a month, line rental and anytime calls , without broadband , would be around this cost , if your broadband and line rental ( broadband has to include LR as you cannot have broadband without it , you say that is £40, so what do you pay ? , is it ( quarterly) £90 + £120 ( three times £40 a month ) so £210 or £70 a month , in which case you are paying LR twice , or is your total £90 a quarter, in which case £30 a month for line, rental and anytime calls isn’t bad.

presumably you pay one bill quarterly, rather than line and calls quarterly and broadband monthly 

0 Ratings
dmk2
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Thank You iniltous,

Our Direct Debit has been for some time £66.00 a Month, has now been raised to £89.94 a Month.  The bill is quarterly,  payment by DD monthly.

From what you write we are being doubled charged.

Thanks

Dave

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

Don't think you'll be being charged twice, the only reason I can think of for the payments increasing that much is if you're on the monthly payment plan option & if you haven't looked at your package for a while any discounts may have ended meaning the amount you were paying isn't enough to cover your ongoing charges. Think it might be best to call in & speak to the billing team though just to confirm

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 11

Must be a nightmare to keep track, billed quarterly, pay monthly and a periodic review for the monthly direct debit, just to keep a constant monthly amount, great for knowing what goes out each month but keeping track of who owes what ?, I pay a whole bill DD, that way it’s never required to pay more to make up arrears on the account.
If you were paying £66 a month , for BB, and anytime call calls , that doesn’t seem particularly competitive, £90 seems ludicrous, ( to the extend I thought that was your quarterly bill ) even taking into account you may be paying towards accumulated arrears.
Broadband , and Anytime calls including line rental I would suggest can be had for around £40/month maybe even less , so you need to see what can be negotiated, presumably paying what you do , you must be outside of any minimum term, so in a good position to ask for a better deal

0 Ratings
dmk2
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Thank you garybs29 for reply.  No, no discounts, no contract as such, just went to anytime calls from evenings and weekends once retired.  There were a few calls outside the plan, the odd mobile say but perhaps £2-3 average over a quarter.  While I was working I checked all these things, but in retirement, would you believe if I said I have less time.

I not sure who to call at BT at the moment, but from all the paperwork read, I am sure I have overpaid for years.  Now I guess you could say that's my fault for not checking the bills once they went on-line paperless and later DD. 

I am hoping to upgrade but I will try to calculate the overcharge, then talk about any upgrade, I really want fibre to the house and have registered but may have to settle for to cabinet.

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 11

If you've been paying a bit more than needed it can work in your favour as well in that there may be a credit sitting on the account which can pay future bills or be sent back to you. I changed from a monthly payment plan in the past myself as the system wouldn't allow it to be set anything lower than circa £15 more then the monthly charges so you never know, your luck may be in when you get in touch

0 Ratings
dmk2
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Thank you again iniltous,

I am sure the £66 was based on average calls costs with evenings and weekends, we did make calls outside the plan.  About retirement time or maybe a little after I altered to the anytime tariff, at that point when I changed it somebody must have put me on the included with landline tariff, instead of the, from memory around £10/m it should have been.

This is the danger of DD and paperless, convenient and a discount given if one goes to DD, but after that companies can rely on the fact that a lot of people do not check with the rigor that they used to, and the months and years roll by.  My fault for trusting the "don't worry we have this covered" sort of messages, I used to be wise to marketing and salesmanship, I am slipping in my old age.

I am not sure how to go about this.  Register a complaint, go to to a regulator?  At the moment they are struggling like most organisations, I have already paid three of the nearly £90 DD's but I need to calculate, if I can just how much I have overpaid, must run into £100's.  Trouble is only 13 months of bills are available on the new style web site and I don't download copies.

I do feel a fool for allowing myself to be ripped off, but thank you or your help.  One option like a lot of people seem to be doing is leave BT, I guess they might want to sort this out though.

Thanks

Dave

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 9 of 11

Your bill will state if it includes line rental, broadband unlimited is a very very old package, you might have solus line and solus broadband, where you pay for each separately, it was common years back.

If you're not happy with the price you're paying, call and negotiate a new discount, you've not been overcharged, you just don't have any discounts attached to agreeing to stay with BT or any company for that matter on a new minimum term, instead you have the freedom of being able to switch or cease without incurring early termination charges.

BT will contact customers by email, sms, calls or letter but only if they have your consent to do so, are your marketing permission set to allow BT to send you offers ?

0 Ratings
dmk2
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Richie - Thank you.  The phone unlimited calls was added perhaps 5 years ago, instead of evenings and weekends.  Digging deeper into their site,  here  is the current print out from their site, THIS IS WHAT THEY SAY WE HAVE :

Hello David

Your products

Phone

UNLIMITED ANYTIME CALLS

£10.11 a month

Broadband

BROADBAND UNLIMITED

£40.50 a month

Total you pay*

for your main BT services

£50.61 a month

From the March 2019 bill:

Unlimited Anytime Calls 3 Mar-2 Jun 19 £ 89.94
This is the cost of your Line Rental (and your calling plan) at £29.98 a
month, charged in advance from 3 Mar 2019 to 2 Jun 2019.
Includes anytime calls to UK landlines and discounts to UK mobiles
BT Call Protect 3 Mar-2 Jun 19 £ 0.00
This is the cost of your BT Call Protect charged in advance (£0.00 a
month)

Broadband
Broadband Unlimited 3 Mar-2 Jun 19 £ 121.50
This is the cost of your Broadband at £40.50 a month, charged in advance
from 3 Mar 2019 to 2 Jun 2019
Total rental and other charges = £ 211.44

At some stage the bill was altered and I did not notice, the DD was not enough to cover and so it has been increased to nearly £90  I know names have changed and BT are often altering tariffs and conditions, but I am going to stick with the fact that they have altered to charge twice , I am guilty of not noticeing. 

Never heard Solus mentioned before.  I will make contact, I would have been happy with the price they stated last year (uplifted of course with this years increases), but they will have to credit as well I feel.  I will post back in due course and thanks again.

Dave.

0 Ratings