cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James3793
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

I want to cancel my contract - Somebody please help me.

@Moderator Team.

I hope you are all doing well?

I'm feeling exhausted from the problems I have been experiencing with BT and would like to exit my contract. To summarize:

During the summer of last year, I started seeing huge drops in my expected speed, sometimes down to 1meg from my expected 30meg. I would call BT who would run a test which would determine an engineer needed to visit my house. Sure enough, an engineer would visit and not really find the cause of the issue. However, they would reset my line and the speed would shoot back up. This would last around 2 to 4 week and I would be back to square one. Another engineer would come out, try something else out and then reset my line. I had 8 engineers visit me in total. 

I had a new socket fitted on one visit, a new line fitted from the pole on another visit and even got told the problem was at the exchange.

On one visit I pointed out to the engineer that some plastic tar-pooling had blown onto the telephone pole across the street and could that cause the issue? he said "no, although I should probably go up and take that off... I cant do it now though"

The next engineer who visited saw the tar-pooling and said "that's going to be the issue!" he then went up and took it down.

3 of the engineers suggested that the issue could be down to my line and how far I was from the exchange. The Super Fast Fibre speed I had upgraded too  the year before was just not suitable for my particular circumstances. (I did not have these issues until I upgraded so this made sense) They suggested if I downgraded, it could fix the issue but they said this very much 'off the record'

I spoke to BT who said this theory was nonsense. I managed to downgrade but they said even if it fixed the issue, downgrading would mean a new contract. I reluctantly agreed.

Sure enough, the speed issues I had been experiencing all year and warranted 8 engineer visits disappeared completely.

On top of this, we have been experiencing massive issues with our ping when someone is streaming in the house (usually netflix) which stops anyone else in the house from gaming at the same time. This is causing big issues in my household as people cannot use the service without it effecting someone else in the house. This is effecting hundreds of BT users and there is a mammoth thread on this issue here https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Recent-online-gaming-ping-spikes-when-streaming...

This  has been going on for months and it's still not resolved. We are being told a fix is being worked on but to be honest, I am tired of waiting.

Now for the last two weeks I have been having constant drop outs at home. I spoke to BT and they said its a known problem in my area and its being worked on. For no reason at all my speed has halved from 30meg to roughly 17meg.

I tried to explain the other issues I have been going through to customer services on a phone call but she  said they could not track the issues raised on the forums. She also said the 8 engineer visits I had last year would also not count towards cancelling my contract as we are in a new year.

I'm now stuck in a long contract and being told that none of the hassle I have been through for the last 16 months matters if I want to leave.

The Moderator team have been great and I know there is only so much you can do but this has been an exhausting experience and i'm just tired of trying to explain any of this to customer services over and over again.

Can you help me terminate my contract? 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: I want to cancel my contract - Somebody please help me.

@James3793 

Unfortunately its not going to be possible at this time, for the forum moderators to investigate these problems, as they are dealing with priority welfare escalations only.

You can try ringing BT Billing on 0800 800 150

Bear in mind that if you are still in a contract, you may be subject to cancellation charges. BT would only release you from a contact if they cannot provide you with service.

Under the current situation, you are unlikely to be able to get service from another provider if you cancel, so it may be better to wait until things return to normal.

Dropouts of service are normally caused by a noisy phone line, so its a good idea to check that, as it would still be there, even with another provider.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
James3793
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Hi Keith,

Much appreciated and I completely understand what the priorities are right now.

I've checked the phone line and its all good, the multiple engineers who visited me last year also did the same and gave the thumbs up.

A moderator in the other thread worked with me for a few weeks to try and solve the ping issue and actually offered to help release me from my contract but the new Netgear Router I purchased seemed to solve the issue so I declined. 

Do you think its normal right now for my expected speed to go down? given that most people are at home?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Are you talking about download speeds, or actual connection speeds?

Download speeds will vary depending on the number of users, but your connection speed would not normally be affected.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

post connection stats from your netgear

enter phone number and post results  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
James3793
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 12.35.44 PM copy.jpg

0 Ratings