cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Identity Theft

Hi, I live in Australia and my bank has just advised me that I have a recent outstanding debt with BT in the UK that is affecting my credit rating.  I called BT, but as I don't have a BT account BT said that they cannot help me and to speak to their credit agency. The credit agency will not release any details of the debt until I prove I have a UK address and as I don't they cannot help me... any suggestions as to who in BT could assist?

Many thanks

Mark

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Identity Theft

First port of call is usually to raise a dispute with the credit agency that's showing the debt. Don't know how it works over there but you can request a copy of your file for a small fee over here. See if the bank will advise which agency is involved & then follow their dispute process. Australia's agencies are listed under "What is a credit provider?" here:

https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/privacy-for-organisations/credit-reporting

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

I have contacted the credit agency and they have raised a dispute however to prove who I am they need me provide evidence of a UK address, which I don’t have. I am trying to find which BT department referred this bad debt with my details onto the credit agency so I can resolve it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Did you at any time have a BT account or as per the title of your post, is this debt nothing that you could have accrued and somebody else has caused it? 

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They will advise you by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings