cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Seraph
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

If/when BT increase your contract cost....

Go to solution
..... you have the right to cancel your contract with no financial penalties whatsoever.

This is a directive by OFCOM.

You have a contract (not a subscription) with BT for specific services, over a specific timeframe, for a specified cost.

Should BT increase your price for a given service within your contract period then you have the right, within 30 days of being notified of a price increase, to cancel your contract/service with no financial penalties whatsoever.

Nn
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: If/when BT increase your contract cost....

Go to solution

That is correct and BT say as much in their email of snail mail sent out to customers in advance of any price rises.

"We want to make sure you get the best deal for you. So, if you want to change something, or even leave because of these price changes, and you're within your minimum contract period, you'll need to call us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early". 

0 Ratings
Jackiow
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Why does OFCOM agree that a Fixed price Contract can be changed at all ? Surely a Contract for a certain period is set in stone ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

It is set in stone. That is why you can leave the contract without penalty if the conditions change, such as a price rise.

0 Ratings
IDW
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@Jackiow wrote:

Why does OFCOM agree that a Fixed price Contract can be changed at all ?

I have very recently looked into this following a dispute

You are right - a fixed price contract cannot be changed at all and no help is needed from Ofcom. I believe the Ofcom rules are designed to protect customers in a fixed term contract where the price is not fixed.

However, it would seem that most BT broadband fixed term contracts are not fixed price. If your bill looks anything like mine you will see this wording:

'You get your Package at a special rate. We show this on your bill by giving
you a refund of £x.yy a month
Your special offer discount lasts for 12 months.'

So in fact the contract consists of a fixed discount off the list price. If the list price increases then the price you pay will increase.

This all came as something as a surprise to me because when I agreed my package on the phone the operator clearly offered me 12 months at £a.bb. Following discussions with a senior manager (who was able to access a recording of the phone call) it was agreed that the sales person misrepresented the contract as fixed price when it was not and I have been appropriately compensated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
The legal stuff at the bottom of the web site marketing pages also says ...

"We may change any prices and terms during your contract. If this affects you, we'll tell you about important changes in advance, and you'll be able to end your contract without any fees."

So pretty clear that BT don't actually guarantee any fixed price for any fixed period.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
@IDW,

Even the discount isn't fixed for the duration. I've had both my broadband full price and broadband 12 month discount both increase by a similar percentage on the same date in the past.
0 Ratings