cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamusuk
Beginner
Message 1 of 20

Incorrect Bill - Charged for calls I didn't make

I received my bill yesterday (payment due to be taken around the 30th) and I noticed that I have been charged £5.54 for calls.

I did not make these calls (I don’t even have a phone connected to the landline) and the only thing connected to the phone line is the Home Hub.

I contacted BT yesterday to query this and was told the billing department that if I didn’t make these calls there must be a fault on the line and I would need to raise a fault. I was put through to the faults team who did this and gave me fault ref number.

The fault status has been updated online stating that an engineer appointment is required. I tried to book this through the website but received an error when I tried to complete the booking.

I then contacted BT again through online chat system. I was told they could book the engineer but it could cost £129.99 if the fault due to my property etc. I said I wasn’t sure what to do and that was just following their instructions.

I was then put through to the billing team who said they would refund me the call costs and I should be more careful about which numbers I dial (even though I repeatedly said I didn’t make the calls!).

A couple of hours later I then received a text from BT saying I needed to book an engineer. The call costs are also still appearing on my bill and the fault query is still open online.

Therefore I’m unsure what to do? Should I still try to book an engineer? How do I know I won’t get charged for calls I didn’t make again?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Incorrect Bill - Charged for calls I didn't make

You could have a crossed line, so you will need to verify that your home phone number has not been changed.

Plug in a phone and dial 1470 17070 and see if the number that is read out, matches your home phone number.

If it does not, then make a note of the phone number, and explain to BT that your line is crossed with that number, and you are being charged for their calls.

Have you checked on your bill to see the numbers that are being called?

Do you have anything else, like a Sky box, plugged ito your phone line?

Do you use BT SmartTalk on any of your devices?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 20

Do you use the Mobile app smart talk?

edit: just seen keiths comments regarding smart talk

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Jamusuk
Beginner
Message 4 of 20

Hi Keith, thank you for your response.

Plug in a phone and dial 1470 17070 and see if the number that is read out, matches your home phone number. - Done, phone number is correct.

Have you checked on your bill to see the numbers that are being called? Yes. Most are special service numbers and a random mobile number. One was to Lloyds credit cards, one to a taxi/chauffeur firm (Kings Cars London), the others do not seem to return a result on Google.

Do you have anything else, like a Sky box, plugged ito your phone line? No. Only the Homehub.

Do you use BT SmartTalk on any of your devices? No

The last call was made on the 16th August and there is nothing since. The call charges are still on my bill. I'm not sure whether to cancel my direct debit or not until this is resolved.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

There could have been a fault on another line which was in contact with yours, that has probably been fixed.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

I am sure they can help in this case.

Keep a watch on your recent usage to make sure they are no more calls.

0 Ratings
Jamusuk
Beginner
Message 6 of 20

Thanks Keith, much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 20

Hi @Jamusuk and thanks for posting.

I suspect @Keith_Beddoe is correct here. The best thing to do is check if there are any further incorrect charges and if so we can investigate for you. Can you post back if you see any and we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Jamusuk
Beginner
Message 8 of 20

Hi @DavidM

As mentioned in previous post, no further calls to date but I will keep an eye on it.

I'm more concerned about the fact the charges are still appearing on my bill and with the direct debit due to be taken in the next few days it looks like I'm going to be paying for them.

Is there anything you can do on this? Otherwise I may have to cancel the DD as I don't see why I should pay for them!

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 20

Once a bill is issued it's usually not possible to get it corrected in advance of the DD being taken, any adjustment being made on the next bill. It sounds as though you won't be too happy with that but I wouldn't cancel the DD because missed payments have a habit of escalating, risking way more than a fiver's worth of grief. Better to wait for a response from the moderators - I'm alerting them to your post to make sure it's picked up.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

Hi @Jamusuk

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post!

Sorry for the confusion with call charges on your bill.  I understand that the only device you have connected to your line is your BT Home Hub.  Can you send us your details so that we can take a look over your account?

It will take us a few days to get back to you from when you send your details over.  Click on my username here >> RobbieMac << and you'll see our contact link on the left hand side underneath my profile picture.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings