cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bobbypeck
Beginner
Message 11 of 35

Re: Incorrect payment default on credit file

Hi, the same thing appears to have happened to me. A £23 payment on my account appears to have defaulted from 2017. I've been a costumer since then and closed down my account in March at which point I settled everything. My BT account is showing as nothing owed to BT. 

This is causing me great anxiety as I'm applying for a mortgage. I've always paid all my bills and mortgages, but this random £23 default has taken my score on experian to 'very poor'. I have not had any letters or emails from BT asking for any payment either.  I've been at the same address this whole time too.

Are you able to help please? Thank you. 

0 Ratings
DRM69
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 35

Just some feedback - The guys on here managed to get me sorted, and it should removed from my file within 6 weeks.

Thanks for your help Mat, without it I would still be going round in circles. 

Good luck BobbyPeck

0 Ratings
mtawn
Beginner
Message 13 of 35

I am having exactly the same issue.  I need to get a car and my finance has been refused due to a default from BT.  I have spoken to BT and they have acknowledged that a bill was generated after I closed my account.  The account wasn't even a credit account, it was a rolling subscription for BT Sport as I'd terminated my phone line years before.  The representative on the phone said he'd email Equifax but not sure if this happened or will be enough to get my credit report sorted.  Can someone help me please?

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 14 of 35

Hi @mtawn, welcome to the forum and sorry you have found an unexpected default on your credit file. Have you raised a Dispute with Equifax as that should be your fist step.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
mtawn
Beginner
Message 15 of 35

Yes, but as per other comments here, I’m told to speak to BT. The issue has been acknowledged and accepted by BT, so BT should fix it. I think it’s a disgrace that a mistake by BT can cause such a huge issue for Customers such as those on this thread and myself. It would be very quick for BT to resolve this so that’s exactly what they should do!

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 16 of 35

Hi @mtawn,

You shouldn't have to speak to BT to get this resolved.

Once the Record of Disputed is raised with Equifax you will hear the outcome of your dispute within 30 days. Once confirmed that the marker has been placed on your file incorrectly it will be removed by Equifax. 

How long has it been since you raised the Record of Dispute?

Has Equifax updated the dispute with BT's response yet?

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Bobbypeck
Beginner
Message 17 of 35

Hi please can you help? I've been passed from pillar to post. Bt online chat team has confirmed the mistake by BT and that there should be no default. They don't have any number for BT credit referral team but are passing me to Equifax and Experian. Both of those companies are saying I need to contact BT. 

Please can you provide the right contact number and email for the credit referral team at BT who can remove this. This is BT's error and its badly affecting my life and causing me great anxiety. 

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 18 of 35

@Bobbypeck

Thanks for getting back to me.

The credit referral team are not customer facing so we don't have a direct number for them that we can provide you with. The credit referral team deal directly with Equifax once the record of the dispute has been raised.

Have you raised a record of dispute with Equifax and if so has it been over 28 days since the dispute was raised?

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
Bobbypeck
Beginner
Message 19 of 35

I've raised with Experian with whom I paid £15 per month to access my credit report. It was a very unclear form and I'm not sure what action will be taken from it. Equifax are trying to charge again for my report and is extremely hard to navigate, saying it will take days to verify me etc. I don't think this feels reasonable for what is a BT mistake and a BT issue to address.

They both say on their websites to contact the organisation in question as first port of call. As does Uswitch and money saving expert. Other people on this forum say that BT sorted it.

This is very clearly a BT mistake and a BT action to address it. I dont think it's an OK answer from BT to then ask customers to contact an outside agency, that you have to pay to join, takes days who then only contact BT.

While I am grateful that you're at least replying, I dont think this is okay. Especially as this seems like its a persistent issue that BT should be addressing based on others in this forum?

0 Ratings
mtawn
Beginner
Message 20 of 35

Exactly this. I’ve paid to join Experian and Equifax to sort out BT’s error and we’re still being told to contact a third party when it’s BT’s error. The responses are cut and paste rubbish that contradict what those third parties are telling us. I’ll never go anywhere near BT again, so glad we have options to use other phone and broadband providers.

0 Ratings