Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SpiderPig
Aspiring Expert
Message 21 of 35

Re: Incorrect payment default on credit file

@Bobbypeck 

Experian is free of charge unless you take the CreditExpert account which is charged at £14.99 per month. You don't need the CreditExpert account to raise a dispute and this can be done via ClearScore and the likes. Normal BT CS advisers don't have access to your credit file to remove markers this is why BT user the Dispute process put in place by Equifax it's the same process you would use to have any marker from any company removed. 

Any time I have raised a Record of Dispute before I have received a reply from Equifax within about 2 weeks to let me know a reply had been received relating to my dispute and when I log in I can see the companies reply. 

I think what @Matt-S  is trying to say is that they can only help once you have raised the dispute and not received a reply within 30 days. You have been asked a number of times if it's been over 30 days and avoided this question in your reply.

0 Ratings
Matt-S
Moderator-Retired
Message 22 of 35

@mtawn @Bobbypeck

I'm sorry that you both remain unhappy.

It is free of charge to raise a Record of Dispute and once this is raised Equifax will contact our Credit Referrals Team to confirm if the marker is correct and if the marker is not correct it will be removed. Equifax will update your Record of Dispute with BT's reply once we have replied.

The Mods can only help if it's been over 28 days since you raised the Dispute and have not received a reply. In these cases, we would ask you from the Dispute reference and then chase this with our credit referral team. We can only do this if it's been over 28 days since the Dispute has been raised.

If it has been over 28 days and no reply has been received then please let me know.

Here is some more information on how we use Credit File Information.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings
mtawn
Beginner
Message 23 of 35

Hi Matt, the issue for me is that I cant afford to wait 28 days in hope that BT will respond.  This is putting my life on hold and all because of an error by BT and feel this is incredibly unfair.  Equifax have only just sent the query to BT but I really dont want to have to wait to get this corrected!

0 Ratings
Div1356
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 35

This has happened to me for an account that was cancelled and paid in full in, wait for it, January 2015!

I now have a default on my file for £15 which is destroying my credit score. If I owed £15 I would have paid such a small amount! Naturally, BT have taken absolutely no responsibility whatsoever, cannot tell me why they generated the debt in the first place, cannot find the account and are completely unwilling to assist.

It gets better though. Experian queried this for me and BT, correctly, removed the default from my file, only to put it back on two days later! This was an apparent case of lines getting crossed.

When this was queried, again, BT has now come back and said that the data is accurate and the default is to remain!

What an absolute disgrace this is. Putting defaults on customers credit files for no reason and no explanation provided. According to BT I can't even complain to them, so I have approached the Ombudsman instead.

0 Ratings
Bobbypeck
Beginner
Message 25 of 35

Oh thats awful. My experian query is with BT so will await and see.  

This is a total abdication of responsibilities from BT. No other company I've heard of simply absolves themselves of resolving this, especially not one as big as BT nor seemingly makes this error so frequently. 

Every bit of advice on uswitch, money saving expert, experian, equifax, the money advice service says that companies themselves should be the first port of call to resolve these things.  And its just obvious they should.

Its not over dramatic to say these ridiculous £15 or £20 amounts- which arent even correct- are ruining peoples lives if it comes to affecting mortgages etc.  

Ill await my response but will certainly be taking it to the ombudsman.  

I hope the guys running this forum who I dont blame - can at least flag these concerns about issue to whoever needs to see this within BT.

Thanks,

Bobby

0 Ratings
mtawn
Beginner
Message 26 of 35

So I have an update from BT.  I have spoken to them several times, each time they have confirmed that the default is an error and even put a note on my file to say that it should be removed.  Today I had an update from Experian stating that BT have responded and stated that the default is correct.  BT have even processed a refund for some of the costs, if that isn't a confirmation of an error then what is!?! I dont know what to do, I'll have a default on my credit file for 6 years and I want to buy a house in the next 18 months.  This is causing me great anxiety that I just dont need right now.  I've been a loyal customer for BT for years and never missed a payment and this is how I am repaid.

Can someone please tell me what I can do?  Do I have to now go through the legal process which could take months and months?!

0 Ratings
Bobbypeck
Beginner
Message 27 of 35

I'm in exactly the same position except I am in a flat purchase right now and its at risk of falling through.  

I have an email from BT confirming it will be removed. Thanks for this reminder that I also need to keep on the case with experian and equifax. 

This is the last thing I need right now. It is frankly utterly appalling that BT is doing this to people. 

I was very pleased with the customer service I got but not if it doesn't  actually result in credit file being updated!

I'll be taking this to the financial services ombudsman. Its totally wrong to be affecting peoples lives like this and needs sorting urgently. BT will lose this one too as its clear they are making administrative errors here. 

I also have quite a few thousand followers on social media and will be highlighting this there. 

0 Ratings
Div1356
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 35

They're totally useless and I genuinely feel for you both.

BT finally corrected mine on Friday so my credit score has now been corrected. Keep on at them and your credit score provider and if they come back and say the default stands query it again. 

If, unlike in my case, BT can actually locate your account, log a complaint, demand a resolution, Make it clear that this is outrageous. Take it to the Ombudsman as well. Once they start receiving a mass of complaints all relating to the same issue they take a dim view of this.

0 Ratings
mtawn
Beginner
Message 29 of 35

Thanks for the support Div1356.  I will never use BT again in both a personal and professional capacity.  I have worked in the technology sector for over 20 years and now work as a consultant.  I know there will again be a time when a decision about which communications supplier we should be using will need to be made.  The amount of stress BT has caused me will be remembered when I need to make that decision.

0 Ratings
marcinch18
Beginner
Message 30 of 35

@DavidM I have the same problem. I just noticed that I have payment default from BT on my credit file in 2018. I moved to different country for 2 years and now I moved back and can't take a mortgage because of some last charge that you sent me to the address that I was not at anymore.

Please if you can look at this for me.

0 Ratings