cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tij303
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Inexplicable service cancellation had to re order (not the only one) who do I complain to ?

Go to solution

For the sake of brevity and in the vain hope I get a response from someone within BT, I have re-produced my post on MSE  (and that of another BT customer which is almost identical to my experience apart from the fact that noone has been in touch with me to give notice). Both the original poster and my response are below.

My question to BT - bearing in mind I simply cannot get through to anyone who is prepared to deal with this other than the sales dept option of re ordering which in itself is bizarre - is this some sort of institutional scam because too many people took the online voucher deals ?

Apart from the fact that this is clearly a BT error why on earth is there such a disconnect between BT sales and the other departments that an engineer cannot be sent out to immediately rectify this ? I have spent a full and rare day off work that was originally planned as a day out with my 3 children. It may sound trite but this bpthers me more than the merry go round of having to re order my BT infinity despite having been connected for 10 days.

That said, it beggars belief that probably hundreds of customers are experiencing this and they are all being treated this way. Please provide me with a direct UK number where someone will speak to me and take responsibility for this. Not sales, an actual real life complaints department that isnt being paid to flog packages. In 48 years I havent experienced such an exasperrating chain of events. Life is too short to waste on this contemptuous behaviour.

These are the original posts... (mine first and second poster's details redacted)

I have just had the exact same experience (apart from no calls indicating a cancellation). Have literally spent the whole of a precious day off with my kids trying to contact BT and have had to capitulate and place a new order.

I have bizarrely had to go through the sales patter, confirmation of the 7.95 delivery fee for a home hub that I already have, connection fee, the works. Was told I couldn't have the original deal nor could I have the pre paid card etc. I didn't accept this and after yet another wait have been told all the fees will be refunded, I will get my card and I will get infinity for a tenner.

Read below and repeat. for two hours.

Sales manager said "we are going around in circles do you want to order or not !!"
I said "No I want you to fix the fault I am an existing customer."
SM "No you are not the order never went through (translation you don't exist)."
Me- "Yes it did the engineer came out the kit was installed on 21.3.16 I have had the service for 10 days then it just stopped."
SM "look we can only offer you a new contract So do you want to order or not....."
Me "No I want to be put through to whoever mucked up my account and I want my BB re connecting today'
SM "I think we are just going around in circles"
Me "Who is your line manager and what is their email address so I can put this down in writing"
SM "I am not giving you her last name or her address out"
AAARRRGGGHH.

However I have to wait until 12.4.16 for it. I was happily using it last night yet I have been treated appallingly. Clearly there is a system fault creating cancellations, but they will not treat this as such, instead making existing customers waste a whole day on this merry go round.

I even have the mobile number of the open reach engineer from the install last week - he was baffled but could only advise calling BT. Ironically he said with an order code and authority it wasn't even a flick of a switch to correct.

I have just tried 4 times (literally) to speak to someone to complain but after initial contact with an operator the phone is going dead every time the phone rings.

Like you I really don't know who to complain to and can't get anything approaching an answer - they tried to blame me at first ironically. Suggested I put the wrong number on the online order - bearing in mind I have had Sky confirmation around the line switch etc.

I think this has been one of the single most exasperating experiences I have had and I am determined to get an answer now I know it's not an isolated issue. Ironically not one apology or reassurance just treated like cattle in a queue.

It is hard to escalate a complaint when you can't even get on the first rung of the ladder

First post

Wow wish I had read this thread before making an order to BT never in my life have I been treated so badly and passed around from department to department.

I took an online deal from the BT website and after I checked using their site everything seemed fine with the availability ect so was looking forward to getting connected on the 7th of March.

Kit arrived and I was all set up ready on the activation date.

took me a further 10 days, an engineer visit and a few phone calls but finally got up and running on the 17th although now was told I was not eligible for any of the special offers (£75 mastercard) but my monthly bill would be the same.

I get a strange call from BT on the 17th (the day the engineer visited) asking if i was still wanting to go ahead with cancelling my service which was news to me. I told the guy I don't want to cancel as I have just been activated today and he said ok i will remove this from your 'file'.

So all was fine except I was not receiving my BT Sport package so phoned up and got a very helpful Northern English guy on the phone and he sorted all this no problem for me and remembering the strange call I received a few days earlier I asked him about the phone call and if my service was due to be cancelled. He said yes there is a note here saying it will be cancelled on the 25th of March. I told him that this was nonsense and that I did not wish my services to be cancelled as I had just managed to get them activated. He said it should be fine and i will add a 'note to your file' saying you have 'changed your mind' which I was unhappy about as i had never cancelled in the first place. So with that sorted I hoped it would be the end of the matter.

Guess what happens next?

at the stroke of midnight on Thursday 24th going onto the Friday 25th my broadband is cut off.

I then proceed to phone them in the morning and after spending most of that morning on the phone waiting in ques and speaking to people who had no idea what was going on I was given the dreaded promise of someone going to phone me back.

That call never came and to make matters worse at midday my landline goes off now as well.

phoned back spent another two hours on my mobile trying to find out what is going on to finally be told that the department that can activate my services (sales department) is shut until Tuesday due to Easter.

Phoned this morning, got put through to 'customer options' then sales who could not hear me or understand me before I got cut off.

Got in contact with my partner and she found a number that uses your minutes rather an a p/m so she phoned up to see if she could get anywhere.

This time she was told she had to re-order as the old order was closed now and that we could be connected by the 5th of April!!! They also said this could be 'expedited quicker' and that her manager would speed the process up. So she tells my partner that she could not order on my behalf so set up details for her to paid on her account instead.

The sales person then says the same package was £5 more expensive than I had originally got it at £55.94.... My original package was £32.99!!!

Absolutely Raging!! The e-mail came through and they have added on some TV package and are now charging £7.95 for anytime calls which was included in the original order and is still available on the BT website.

I am absolutely livid and not sure what to do next. I have been assured that a 'manager' will call me to confirm all of this 'within 24 hours'.

Oh and they are now apparently sending me another router and TV box that I can just send back!

I really wish I had never bothered and now I am faced with no phone or internet until next week and my partner stuck with this.

What is the point in phoning them as it is a complete merry-go-round, I have spoken to every department there is and will now be likely facing a hefty phone bill on my mobile.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Inexplicable service cancellation had to re order (not the only one) who do I complain to ?

Go to solution

only BT employees on forum are the forum mods and they will post here shortly

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 6

Re: Inexplicable service cancellation had to re order (not the only one) who do I complain to ?

Go to solution

Hi @tij303,

I'm sorry you've had to go through all of that to get the service you were hoping for. We'll get it looked into for you and do our best to get you the package that you originally wanted.

Click on my username and then click on contact the mods. It's in the about section in my bio. We are in the UK and will be able to keep in touch and update you every step of the way.

Thank you

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
tij303
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
DanielS thanks for the prompt reply I appreciate it - If I get the call back from sales tomorrow hopefully the package will be the same. My 'complaint' is why do existing customers have to go through the whole process again - apart from the time spent, there must be a cost to BT sending the kit out again. Surely there is a way to just confirm the line and re-connect ? It isn't an isolated issue either ..
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

You are very welcome@tij303.

Ideally, the order should be replaced like for like. If you already have the equipment then that part of the order should be removed so you don't get another delivery charge and another piece of equipment.

When there's a problem with the order, we may have to start the ordering process all over again. That means we're put back in the queue by our suppliers. On occasion, we may be able to speak with our suppliers to get the date brought forward, because of the mistake. It doesn't always happen but it's worth us asking for you.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
tij303
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Daniel thanks - I have posted an additional enquiry via the 'contact the mods' link. I was assured by 'Sasha' (manager in sales) that I would get a call today to confirm the refund of the connection fee, anything that could be done to expedite the install, and confirmation that she had sorted the vouchers (she kindly offered to fill in the online voucher redemption on my behalf).

However no call has been received from BT today but I have further emails now confirming cancellation and asking me to return my equipment - I cant tell if this was my original unrequested but cancelled anyway service or the latest one ?

When I log onto my BT I get messages suggesting a delay with the phone line transfer and to cap it all off an email from Sky today saying they are sorry I am leaving. We already left ! on 21.3.16 when bT was intalled ! We have paid a penalty to leave early so I hope we aren't getting charged again !

In addition one of the confirmation emails from BT states that we are not ex-directory which I explicitly stated in my conversation with Kirsten (sales op) yesterday.

Just at a loss with this really I have no idea what is happening, how much we are being charged, and if we are mis-charged how on earth I ring up to resolve it. Anyway I have sent the stuff through just hope you guys can assist, just to reiterate we never cancelled anything - do you guys know or have any clue why this is happening to people ?

Thanks

0 Ratings