Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Azazl187
Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Install date keeps on increasing, waiting over 2 months for Broadband

Go to solution

Hi All,

Im not sure if i am in the right forum section here but here goes.

I have recently bought a new build and i moved in a couple of months ago.  To ensure that i have everything in place for moving in i ordered up my broadband and telephone line nice and early.

Thats when the problems started.....

I placed my order on the 29th of March and was given an install date of the 13th of May.  This was to be expected as this was a new build and this fact would mean that it would take time to install the necessary cables and exchanges if needed.

My nightmare began when this date was completely missed and i was told by BTs lovely (not so lovely) helpdesk that i would need to wait a further week.

2 months and many many calls and webchats later i am still awaiting the installation of my internet.  I have finally been given a phone line install date of the 6th of July but the broadband connection is not being done until the 14th of July!!!

The thing is i have a web based course that i need to attend that i made sure i booked in months after i could have done it so that it would give plenty of time for the Internet to be connected it.  The course dates i have are the 12th and 13th of July, yes that right the 2 days prior to my connection date. This is a course that has cost thousands of pounds to take.

Ive tried to sum things up here in a nut shell but i cannot tell you how much stress and anguish this has cause me and my family.  Being told one thing from BT and then something completely different happening is hugely frustrating and the fact that i have had to wait 2 months plus is completely unacceptable.

I understand that new builds can be problematic as Open Reach engineers are relaying on the installed pipework to feed cables but it seems that literally nothing has been done until now and it just seems too little too late.

Does anyone have any advice on how i might be able to get my order for the broadband put in any earlier?  Im at risk of losing out big time here due to false promises, huge delays and lack of action from BT and Open Reach.  If they said that it would take this long from the beginning it wouldnt be so bad but ive been fed what seems like a pack of lies since i first started asking about getting the broadband installed!!

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: Install date keeps on increasing, waiting over 2 months for Broadband

Go to solution

New build can take a long time to get connected.

I would advise that you make arrangement to use the Internet via another location for those days, to avoid missing them.

Perhaps a friend or relative can help, or the local library or college?

Is mobile broadband an option, of you are in a 3G or 4G mobile coverage area?

You are never going to be able rely on any broadband connection for critical stuff, as you could easily have a fault during those days, so a backup plan is essential.

As far as the actual dates, I would expect that other people are waiting as well, so you are not likely to get an earlier appointment.

Try the UK Order Live Chat Team

0 Ratings
Azazl187
Contributor
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

To be honest the course it not the point im really making here.  I have a back up plan, it would be silly not to have one.  The issue i have is the constant promises and then the disappointment of that date being pushed back week after week.

The new date is the 14th but that means nothing to me as i can pretty much guarantee that this date will also be put back.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

Delay are common, see some of the other threads.

https://community.bt.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=new+build+delays#

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

I see where you're coming from, Keith. But, that hasn't really helped the OP with his issue. A moderator should be involved with this seen as the OP has not had broadband for over 2 months, that is unacceptable.

Azazl187
Contributor
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

Yes i have read this too.  The Chat Link you gave in your post is not a UK chat by the way.  I have used it around 30 times in the last few months and everytime it connects to someone in India.

I understand that "these things happen" but that does not make it anymore acceptable.  It is completely unacceptable that people have to wait this long for a service that is now essential these days and not a luxury.

Please see this artical https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/jun/29/bt-openreach-broadband-phone-delays-new-build

Open Reach and BT had until April this year to get an engineer out to a new build 12 days after the order has been placed.  Clearly this has been missed!

"Last year the telecoms regulator Ofcom ordered Openreach to get its act together and imposed a “quality of service” requirement which obliges it, among other things, to send an engineer within 12 days of a new line being ordered. It has until next April to meet the new targets and Ofcom says it’s currently assessing how it has fared in the first 12 months since they were imposed."

0 Ratings
Azazl187
Contributor
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

This is beside the point though really.  It will do me no good quoting articles cherry picked from the Internet.  

Is there anyone that can help me here get an answer as to why this is taking so long or that might be able to expedite my broadband connection date?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

@Azazl187 wrote:

Yes i have read this too.  The Chat Link you gave in your post is not a UK chat by the way.  I have used it around 30 times in the last few months and everytime it connects to someone in India.

The link I gave you connects to a team in Northern Ireland, who work alongside the forum moderators, and were set up to deal with UK orders that were directed from this forum.

Unless the builders have provided the duct work, which is paid for by Openreach, nothing else can happen.

0 Ratings
Azazl187
Contributor
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

Hi Keith, thanks for the reply.  I dont want to get in a flame war with you but i clicked your link again and had the below discussion - Edited by mod

Clearly it links to the India helpdesk. Maybe there is an overflow to India....  

You have said "Unless the builders have provided the duct work, which is paid for by Openreach, nothing else can happen."  The pipe work was always in place as far as i know and a contractor of open reach came out to thread the cable and connect up my master socket.  Ive been living in the property for over 2 months, surely i should have a connection by now! 

Is there a moderateor or someone that can help me further?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator for clarification, as we were told this link went to NI.

0 Ratings