cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aschaudry
Message 1 of 7

International Freedom Limit

Not sure if anyone else experienced this, but apparently BT have applied some sort of "fair usage policy" on their international freedom package. And the limit? It's only 1,000 minutes a month. For someone like me, who as ALOT of family abroad, particularly in the US, that's no where near enough. It's only about 33 minutes a day, which for someone who even has his fiance abroad is nothing!

What infuriated me the most about this was that they never even told me over the phone when I registered for it (about two weeks ago). I only found out because I got some message saying I was near my limit, and I still have more than 10 days before it "resets".

I complained about it and not only did the guy simply not care, but he didn't even acknowledge the fact that this is perhaps a important piece of information they should have mentioned over the phone when I registered. Instead he said "well, most of our customers don't use more than that and I'm sure you won't either". You're sure I won't either?!?!?!? I'm sorry, are you my international phone calling therapist and counsellor who studies my calling behaviour?!?!?

Oh man, I was so livid. Anyways, I take it there's nothing I can do so I'm going to try and just drop this international freedom package from BT and go elsewhere. And as soon as my line rental period comes up and I'm leaving BT altogether. Coming back to them from SKY was a massive mistake. 

Or is there something I can do?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: International Freedom Limit

Hello and welcome

if it's any help have a read of these posts.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/International-Freedom/m-p/43435

EDIT  Sorry don't know why but the link will not work.  Put international freedom in  search the community.

Patty-L

0 Ratings
aschaudry
Message 3 of 7

Hi Patty-L,

Thanks for that. I guess it helps in that this rule has irritated others as well, but that's about it. And looks like last year the limit was 600 minutes, so even worse back then!

Judging by what the guy in the other post said, sounds like the best option is to complain to the regulator (is it Ofcom?) and then just switch to another provider.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

@aschaudry wrote:

Hi Patty-L,

Thanks for that. I guess it helps in that this rule has irritated others as well, but that's about it. And looks like last year the limit was 600 minutes, so even worse back then!

Judging by what the guy in the other post said, sounds like the best option is to complain to the regulator (is it Ofcom?) and then just switch to another provider.

You can complain to them, but if it was part of the terms for that particular service you requested, then I don't believe it is going to go far.

If you do switch providers , be aware that if you are under contract then you will incur cancellation charges. No point in paying out unless you really have too.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Caughall
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

My wife died in a car crash on the 23rd of May.  My mother died last Monday.  My daughters both live in Germany and I have had to arrange for them to attend both funerals as well as gaining much support from them.  It is now the 28th of June and I have just been informed that I have reached my International Freedom Limit and that it will not be reset until the 7th of next month.  I was not aware that there was a limit.  Where do I go from here?  BT have not given me any indication of how I can extend my limit.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

Have I got this right? International Freedom is calls from 2.5p a minute plus a monthly fee? Well, with a little research it's possible to make calls to the most popular destinations for 1p a minute, no registration, no catches, just an 08 access number. The slight downside is that you're charged from the start of the call so it's not free if the number is engaged or unanswered.  I rarely make international calls, but when my daughter worked in Australia for a year I called her dozens of times without a hitch.

@ caughall  Welcome to the forum; sorry that you're here is such tragic circumstances. I can't post details here, but will send them to you in a Private Message. Hope it helps.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 7 of 7
Moved:

0 Ratings