Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xchange
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Is 08000285085 a genuine BT number?

Go to solution

Hi,

Following the debacle of BT billing me hundreds of pounds for calls I haven't made I have a claim in progress. I've just had a phonecalls from the number 0800 0285085. The woman asked me for my billing address before she'd continue the call so I hung up on her. 

Google is pretty split between whether this is a genuine BT customer services number or a clever spam. Does anyone know which? 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Guru
Message 2 of 15

Re: Is 08000285085 a genuine BT number?

Go to solution

That is a BT number.

Stew

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

@xchange wrote:

Hi,

Following the debacle of BT billing me hundreds of pounds for calls I haven't made I have a claim in progress. I've just had a phonecalls from the number 0800 0285085. The woman asked me for my billing address before she'd continue the call so I hung up on her. 

Google is pretty split between whether this is a genuine BT customer services number or a clever spam. Does anyone know which? 

Hi.

That is a BT specific number, and part of the service team.

However what companies don't get is that when they ring you, it is up to them to prove who they are, not the other way around.

0 Ratings
deadstop
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

Totally agree callers should be prepared to answer genuinely concerned customers. This number is widely reported as spam. I had a rather agresssive call from an indian accented caller (admittedly for a change I could understand him) and blocked the number. Unblocked now following reading this thread.

0 Ratings
mgneale
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

After placing an online order for a BT mobile phone and a confirmatary email from BT with a referecne number, saying I might receive a call,  I received a call from 08000285085 from an indian accented gentleman at 9am on a Sunday morning asking for details.  I refused.  I then received a follow up email supposedly from BT customer service asking me to ring 08009170122 with a reference number which was different to the reference number in the original confirmatary email!  During normal working hours on the Monday following I rang BT on 0800800150 to check my order.  The order was fine and the agent I spoke to said there was nothing on file about any follow up call or email.  He thought that the call and email were suspicious.

So I am still confused as to wehther this was genuine.  If it was why did the agent I spoke to say there was no record of the call and email?  If it wasn't genuine, how did the caller and emailer know that I had placed an order?

Incidentally the suspicious email had buttons which appeared to take one to the genuine BT website.

I am not at all happy about the whole episode.

Concerned

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Got a call and as per normal for me, unless a person speaks, I always remain silent. You call me? You say hello. So the phone rings and I answer. No hello. No  "can I speak to the account holder" bs nothing. 

I am curious now. So... 0800 0285085....what, mayhap, do you have for me?

3 minutes pass, no voice at all. 

5 minutes pass.... No announcement at all.

So I think. It's a cold call. Hell even if I'm paying for this call I'm getting my monies worth.

So i found some dp **bleep**. Played it for a further ten mins.

**bleep** didn't hang up. 

So... People, just play them **bleep**. Let whoever rings from this number hear the moans and screams of **bleep** starlets gobble **bleep**.

Do not allow this practice to continue.

So BT. 

Protect you customers data better. Or the next time you try to call me I may be pressed to make you listen to Debbie does dallas!

Yours sincerely,

A VERY **bleep** off customer. 

Ps.

You charge way too much for a **bleep** poor service.

Ya bunch of obtuse, live ridden **bleep**!

0 Ratings
trolleybus
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

The short answer is YES and the call often comes from the BT Repair Team and is usally to ask if the ticket for a recent repair can be closed. The problem as I see it is that the nmber can be very easily spoffed and you may give away more information that is desirable.  When I call BT, I give them an alternative number to call me on and if I feel that a call from BT may not be genuine I ask the caller to ring me again with the alternative number they have on file.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

I received a call I was expecting which was from the complaints dept with the person based in Doncaster  so this number seems to cover several departments.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Just to make it clear the person identified who she was, where she was ringing from and what department and stated why she was ringing before asking for any info from me. So if this isn't followed then the call may well be spoofed.

0 Ratings
Disco91
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution
I have also received calls from this number I have spoken to BT customer services and they have confirmed it is NOT one of their numbers BT would never ask for any account details
0 Ratings