cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scapegoat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Is BT's Keep Connected Promise is dishonest advertising

Thist week I was supposed to recieve an engineer visit to upgrade my BB to ULTRAFAST FIBRE PLUS (145Mb/s), this was the second attempt as 2 weeks previously there was a failed attempt to give me the 300 Mb/s.

On the morning of the scheduled engineer visit I noticed that I had no internet connection.  Further investigation of my BT order showed that not only had the engineer visit been delayed by 1 week, but my existing broadband connection had a "Stop service" against it.

After contacting BT I was informed that stopping the existing broadband is standard practice (even though this did not happen on the previous attempt) and it would be over a week before they could turn it back on again.

Since this meant that I "have no broadband service" (Section 10b  i of the BT Plust Ts & Cs) I though that I was entitled to the heavily advertised Mini Hub.

But no.

It seems that this is only available to customers with a "fault", and customers who lose all connection for at least a week because of actions by BT are not entitled to any help.  (despite this situation not being covered in the exclusions of the same Ts & Cs, section 10e i-v).

**edit: Interestingly, the exclusions include any network outages and also faulty equipment, so BT have tried to make sure that very few people will ever qualify. 

The only solution that I was offerd was to go to a shop and buy my own hub, which I had to do.

So,my question to anyone who is still reading this is, when BT advertises extensively for a service, suggesting that their priority is to keep customers connected, but then refuses to help at all when they cause a long tearm outage, are those adverts dishonest?

P.s, I have a complaint raised but the earliest that they can now get me reconnected is Monday 17th, so 11 days of "no broadband service" and a big bucket of "sucks to be you" from BT...

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
-Richie-
Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is BT's Keep Connected Promise is dishonest advertising

If you've seen the exclusions listed in the terms I'd say it's not dishonest, they're available to view anytime, granted most people don't read them but if they are not hidden then it's open and honest.

0 Ratings
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

@-Richie-wrote:

If you've seen the exclusions listed in the terms I'd say it's not dishonest, they're available to view anytime, granted most people don't read them but if they are not hidden then it's open and honest.

Most customers are likely to read this:

Keep Connected Promise

We’ll get you back online quickly if your broadband stops working. We’ll send you a Mini Hub straightaway at no extra cost if you have to report a broadband fault – it uses a mobile signal to connect your devices until we’ve fixed the fault.

which isn't quite the same as 9.e.i in the T&Cs - "You're not entiltled to a mini hub if your fault is caused by any planned or unplanned outages on BT's network or any third party service."

Both statements from BT are clear but they have two totally different meanings. It would be interesting to know what would enable a mini hub to be sent out, the get out clause seems to so open ended that a customer doesn't stand much chance if BT don't want to send one.

I'm surprised that BT are allowed to advertise a feature in that manner, but they're not the only ones at it in this segment. These bundled extras are very rarely worth the money for the customer, which is why of course  businesses offer them knowing that most will sign up tn the belief that they are getting more value. What customers don't do is look at what they actually need.

Scapegoat
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

I agree with the last point (obviously), my problem is that this is advertised as a magical panacea to cover all outages, but in reality the one thing that it seems to cover is a fault between the cabinet and the external phone point. This is why I consider the advertising to be at least misleading and at most deliberately disingenuous.
Even when my situation is not applicable to any of the exclusions, BT still refuse to offer this as an option, because they don't want to.
0 Ratings