Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Beginner

Re: Is it BT Yahoo / Total Broadband / Option 3 / or do we have broadband at all....

The mods on here will get it sorted out for you.

Have to say, with my problem, they fixed it without any hassle - excellent!

They changed my separate old BT Yahoo broadband to a proper BT Broadband service, sorted out the joint bill, so it's now on the same account as the phone bill and it is now the right price and around 10Mb, vs the 1Mb I had with BTYahoo.

The speed took a few days to sort itself out, but since then it's been working well.

Aspiring Contributor

Re: Is it BT Yahoo / Total Broadband / Option 3 / or do we have broadband at all....

Hi Jez

Yes, I've no doubt they will - they succeeded in my only previous problem, when the staff in India messed up changing my credit card details and BT started sending me nasty letters about not paying :smileyhappy:

The staff in India are very pleasant and polite but seem the find all the different accounts and products a bit confusing, and I can't say I blame them I suppose

I didn't particularly want the monthly BB cost to go on the phone bill to be honest (as I say, the BB account is mine and the phoneline is my partner's) but if it's easier all round then I guess I wouldn't object to that.

It would also be nice to have the speed that comes with Option 3 - having said that, I have always been quite pleased that - however slow (around 1.8 on average) it is (relatively speaking), stable and consistent whenever I use it.

Anyway I'll wait to hear from the mods in their own time.

Cheers!

Aspiring Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just by way of an update, one of the mods (Craig) has been in touch reference my account and it appears the payment method for remains unchanged, although we'll need to keep an eye on that as payment hasn't been taken yet as it normally is.

Also, Craig has been able to arrange an upgrade of the line speed, as befits Option 3!

So - looking good.

Thanks mods - and Craig specifically :smileyhappy:

Aspiring Contributor

And just another update.

Hopefully my billing will return to normal from next month, but Craig will monitor that.

The arranged line upgrade (to match the Option 3 benefits I'm paying for) took place last Tuesday and though it's still settling down, my speeds are averaging 6-7MB now rather than the 1.8 I was averaging before.

My thanks again. I only wish the 'overseas' support staff were more effective at dealing with queries!

At last some light on the problem I too have been having.

I was also a BT Openword customer who then became BT Yahoo and then whatever it is now. 

As all  I wanted was an broadband connection I have never bothered checking in to my BT emails as long as money was going out and the service continued I didn't really mind what it was up to.

Over the last couple of years I have checked in to my BT emails about once a year.  Last time I tried to work out what service I was on as I couldn't find any information on my actual BT account, eventually I gave up as I ended up going round in circles.  Yesterday I logged in again and found not only emails saying my local network has been improved and I should get even better line connection but faster speeds but also I now have a new account number as I am now on BT Total Broadband.  This account number is not recognised by BT though.  Finding this post though has thrown light on the situation and I have filled in a form to contact a Mod who will hopefully look into for me.

Also, while the emails keep telling me that I have an even better network my connection drops out regulary througout the day and the line speed has never got past 3.1/3.2 download speed (the broadband checker for the house shows it should be between 3 - 7Mb with it most likely being 4.5Mb).   I am wondering/hoping the speed might be to do with being on the wrong system setup...

Matthew

Aspiring Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well, I hope you get the account problem sorted anyway, Matt.

One of the less appealing problems with BT is that their admin systems often seem to be a bit messy. For years, I never had an account number, just my username, and trying to get support staff in India to solve account problems/changes to payment methods was a total nightmare.You just seem to 'disappear' off their systems when you ring them.

A year ago,when the Indian staff failed to change my Credit Card details as I'd requested (and they assured me they'd done) and a monthly payment didn't 'take', I soon had a letter by snailmail from BT to threaten me with court action, so clearly they were able to identify me when it came to payment (yet the phone numbers and email links given in the letter were all out of use or dead links...'go figure', as the Yanks say!)  It was mods here who changed the card details.

To be fair, when they automatically migrated me to Total Broadband recently, the email from BT gave me an account number for the first time and that does now at least identify me. But then my monthly payment didn't get taken! And even when quoting the new account number, the overseas support staff were flummoxed, and were as always unfailingly polite but - as nearly always - useless in anything other than very basic enquiries. Mods here again to the rescue!

I'd have thought that my BB speed would have been upgraded automatically when I was migrated over to Total Broadband...but as it was, I was still on 2MB and a mod here had to put in an order to upgrade it. And to be fair, once that was done my speed was upgraded very swiftly. I'd say I was averaging 6-7MB speed easily now. And its pretty stable, subject to the usual line conditions etc....

As far as the payment problem goes, Craig - the mod who dealt with me - had put a reminder on my account to 'watch out' for me. My monthly credit card payment is due again in the next few days and hopefully - this time - payment will be taken automatically as it always has been. He had to take payment 'manually' last month.

It does sound to me like your line has perhaps also not been upgraded along with the account. And whatever speed you are currently on, I'd make sure all your connections at home, filters etc are sound. Even when I was on 2MB, I had a good consistent connection averaging 1.8MB. Admin problems aside, I've always found the technical quality of service really (consistently) good, which is why I've statyed with BT for my BB over the years. I'm sure the mods will sort you out.

Beginner

I am sorry to use this old thread, but this exact problem applies to me also and was hoping somebody could help.

I have been trying to find out my account number for my broadband and to find out exactly what the service is. The only clue I have is from an email last week 'As a Broadband Option 3 customer, you're currently paying £27.60 a month. From 3 December 2011, this will increase to £28.90 a month.'.

It was set up many years ago and I believe did used to be referred to as BT yahoo, but have no emails or correspondance with any more information. It does seem to be a Residential account (this is all i could gather from BT on the phone) and is paid separately from the phone bill which is BT business which confuses every person from BT I have tried to speak to. The two are paid by separate people too, so I would still like them to be separate if it is possible.

I started to look into this because of the very slow speed I have been getting recently at certain times of the day (as low as a half or quarter of the usual 2MB on all traffic, I am not talking about p2p). It appears to happen at set times which has left me to suspect that it could be that I am still on a very old option which still applies throttles - usage has not been excessive, but was larger last month due to setting up a new computer. But even this is nowhere near the old fair use limit of 300GB, but could conceivably be just at the point of the very old fair use limit of 100GB. And I believe even this 300GB limit even is supposed to have been lifted now.

Also, the BT speed checker estimates the speed I should be getting as 4-6MB, so this has left me even more confused as I have never had more than 2MB as a maximum.

I would be interested if anyone could help me with this, as at the moment as you can see I can only guess at what may be the issue, Thank you.

Aspiring Contributor

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the forums aj.

If you have been speaking to BT via the phone, you almost certainly have been talking to staff in India, who I'm afraid are largely clueless with problems like this.

It does seem that - with the various deals and packages that have been offered over the years - people sometimes haven't been migrated properly. As it happens, I was advised of a new account number in an email - the first time I'd ever been allocated one - so this was of some use. But in migrating people over to 'equivalent' packages, they don't always seem to provide the benefits that go with it! So I was stuck on a 2MB speed until mods here sorted it out (they also sorted an account payment glitch). Again, overseas call centre staff seem incapable of dealing with this, possibly because of confusion over various accounts and so forth.

As you say, customers such as ourselves have recently had notice of a price increase via email so you can be assured that you haven't disappeared off the radar. If a (UK based) mod doesn't respond here in the thread, go to the following link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

and provide them with a link back to this thread, what your problems are and also your details - name, address, bt username etc and they can have a look at what's going on.

I wish BT would sort these problems out automatically. But rest assured that the mods here will sort you out.

Beginner

Thanks for your reply Simes.  It is encouraging to see the resolution you had to your problem, your updates provided some good information.  I will indeed do as you suggest.

Beginner

Well, I did send a help request via that link early wednesay afternoon but disappointingly didn't ever hear from anyone at BT.  I tried again on the phone today and got to someone quite helpful in India who did confirm I was still on BT Yahoo unlimited which has a 2Mbit speed limit!  Yesterday however (December 1st) my evening speed did return to the usual 2Mbit by itself, he could not say about the throttling at evenings and weekends (he believed even Yahoo option 3 had a 300GB fair use limit, but was not aware even of the use of a 100GB limit previously so I'm not too sure), but did confirm in November just over 100GB was transferred so to me this is clear that for some reason the BT yahoo unlimited must have stilll been on the old 100GB fair use limit.

We seemed to work out that the reason it was never migrated to BT total option 3 was something to do with either the phone and internet being in different names, or the phone being business.  He informed me that I could either wait till BT sort out awkward cases such as these (i.e. never presumably), combine the two on a business acount in one name (with a new contract), or transfer it now to BT Total broadband only option 3 with the same name/payment details but would need to have a new 12 month contract, but this price even after this month's increase for both is a few pounds cheaper than yahoo option 3, and a new router will also be provided for free. The speed will be 'up to 20Mbit' as opposed to 2Mbit, but I can hope for 6Mbit according to the checker which will still be an improvement. He says he has sent the request that it be upgraded which will be completed in the next 10 working days and I will be informed when with a new account number, so we will see.

I just can't understand why BT couldn't have sent an email or letter informing people whose accounts could not be migrated from BT yahoo.  Or even a page on their site with some information at least about older account types.  And to think BT was going to increase the price for me on a package that is obselete.