Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Leith2021
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Is this even close to normal?

Go to solution

16 July: Order Fibre broadband for 6 Aug activation date.

6 Aug: Setup new router and wait till midnight.

7 Aug: No service. Orange light. I call BT and they are surprised. They ask for the serial number on OpenReach box and I give it to them. They call OpenReach to check if it’s correct. Customer service agent again tells me he is surprised because the serial number matches / is correct but says “I’ve made an exception in the system and your activation will happen by Monday morning.” I push back to say, “It doesn’t sound like you’ve found the problem, and an exception in the system sounds like meaningless jargon. What have you done exactly?” He says OpenReach will activate it no later than Monday morning but it could be sooner. 

8 August: I call in to check the status and make sure everything is on track. The BT light is still orange. The open reach box is all green lights. I speak to someone from the “connection” team who says the notes from yesterday say the serial number didn’t match and it would be activated by end of Monday (midnight between Monday / Tuesday). This is not what the previous rep told me, but is apparently the note in the system. I push back again and say I’ve lost a bit of trust now and want to know if I’ll be able to work from home and have my client calls/workshops via Broadband or if I’m basically screwed.

Via the texting service I get the case escalated to the “faults” team. This person says they are confused by what they see on OpenReach and gives me a number that is not the serial number at all — not the same length either. They say they think the previous tenants didn’t close their account, but she also says she can’t find their account anywhere, even though it’s at the exact same address and they too had BT (and I have their old modem and can provide the info on it).

What the heck is even going on here? It sounds like the customer service folks literally have no idea. The serial number matches, but then doesn’t, but then there is another number altogether — and meanwhile there was a previous connection with BT at the address but when they look up the address, they can’t find anyone else but me? Madness!

Two homes ago I had Vodafone. Activated within 10 mins the day of activation when I plugged it in. Last home I had Hyperoptic and it activated within minutes. Now BT is the only option in my new flat, and the last tenants had BT and used the existing OpenReach box, yet now it seems BT cannot establish a new account here. I really don’t get it.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Is this even close to normal?

Go to solution

@Leith2021 

This is just a customer to customer help page, we are all just customers.

Your best option would be to call the FTTP helpdesk, and see what they say.

They are on 0800 587 4787.

0 Ratings
Leith2021
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks. I wanted to sense check if others experience this level of ineptitude with just activating service at an address where service has previously be active. 

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

BT isn’t your only option and never was anyone’s only option, it’s a myth that BT have or ever had any exclusivity, anywhere.

Many providers can provide service over Openreach products, it seems as though you have OR FTTP, and the lights on the ONT are indicative of ‘working’ service , ( Power, PON and Port green ) so the ONT is authenticated on the OLT,  the physical ‘fibre’ connection is almost certainly good to go.

Your experience with a provider that is a network operator and ISP isn’t a good comparison, OR have to be functionally separate  to ISP’s including BT , so an issue with one isn’t resolvable by the other, hence what seems to be a lack of comms between them is a product of the way Ofcom want OR to operate.

If I were to hazard a guess, if this is a relatively ‘new site’ , and only a FTTP service was provided ,  it’s possible the initial user had the plot number used as the address when they ordered , obviously the property gets a ‘house number’, if there is some confusion as to what house number the plot became , it may well mess up the activation ( and may explain why if the previous occupant was also a BT customer , no record can be found ) obviously if this isn’t that type of new build , then the error must be elsewhere, if this is a retro fitted apartment complex, the addresses in these can also be problematic , have you checked the address against the Royal Mail/Post Office records ?

If the previous occupant hasn’t advised their provider that they are leaving that address ( even if it’s the same ISP ) then the system will likely error , and manual intervention may be required.

0 Ratings
Leith2021
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks. I checked with 2 other providers that OpenReach says are full Fibre providers at my address — but they said they cannot provide at my address. Only BT has said they can provide full Fibre via OpenReach.

I think it’s fair to hold BT accountable for what they say they’ll do, even if they depend on another party. My question is whether this experience is normal. Thus far, it appears not. I’ve already received a free month of service credited to my account by BT customer service. Imagine they aren’t handing those out left and right. Still no internet connection either. Not handing those out either. Lol

Anyhow, thanks for throwing a bunch of jargon and acronyms at me. Doesn’t help me, but glad you know what they all mean.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

If you approach other providers and they say ‘No’ , that’s hardly BT’s fault , if ( for example ) a particular provider hasn’t upgraded their ‘interconnects’ everywhere they operate, the could say Yes to some customers in some areas and No in others…
I quite agree that any issue you have should be resolved, and by the timescales given by your provider , and although not an excuse, an understanding of the way OR has to operate with ISP’s in part explains why they may seem ‘clunky’ in comparison to other network operators.

0 Ratings
mispeltyuoth
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I think the thread title should really be "Is this even close to acceptable?" and the answer is clearly 'No!'

Your contract is with BT - Openreach have nothing to do with you and you shouldn't have to contact them. If BT have contracted to provide you with a service from a specified date, have failed to do so and are charging you, they are in breach of contract and should be compensating you.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Please point out where the OP has been advised to contact Openreach.

The FTTP team are BT, not Openreach.

0 Ratings
Leith2021
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

We can close the thread. Been told it would be activated 6 Aug by midnight, 9 august by 9am, then 9 August by end of day, now being told I’ll get an update on Wednesday or Thursday. Just an absolutely disaster… in a flat with an OpenReach box that previously had BT broadband active service. It’s not like they are installing new lines in a super rural area. This is Edinburgh. Madness. And they refuse to send an engineer because they say it can all be done remotely… yet they need another 3 days to do it. So dumb. But alas, nothing anyone can deal with here. Just venting now, which isn’t productive. Closing the thread. 

0 Ratings