Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jb68
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Is this normal from open reach ?

Go to solution

Hi guys. 

was supposed to get full fibre install yesterday but didn’t happen as the open reach guy said he wasn’t trained to go on a pitched extension roof and wanted the cable in the lower bedroom (the cable comes from the telephone pole and honestly you would be able to touch it from the floor). So I asked for someone trained to do it and he said it wasn’t possible. 

now I have got someone else to do the roof part and the open reach guys will Tell him how to clamp the cable and do the drill part. 

I had no issues before getting the copper cable installed through the extension roof before, just find it very bizarre that they suggested to get a roofer to do part of the install. 

There was nothing about this when I ordered it etc. If I knew that, I would have organised something before hand. Now I have  to wait for another appointment after 6 weeks of waiting. 

not the best Start. 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
pippincp
Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Is this normal from open reach ?

Go to solution

Who told you the Openreach "guys" would instruct a third party what to do?

0 Ratings
jb68
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Open reach themselves. They said they will instruct what to do on the roof with the cable and the clamping part. 

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@jb68wrote:

I had no issues before getting the copper cable installed through the extension roof before, just find it very bizarre that they suggested to get a roofer to do part of the install. 

What on earth is the matter with these people? Is this H&S gone mad? 

At our previous address, a tree caused a line break to our copper from pole to 3rd floor flat (FTTC). If you count the basement, we were actually 4th floor. OR had no problem installing a new wire via the flat roof extension outside our rear window. The extension only went to the 2nd floor. It did take two guys to do the job, so perhaps that is the problem these days - one man only.

0 Ratings
jb68
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Yeah, I’m puzzled by it. He said if it wasn’t a pitched roof. They could have done it. Every extension roof is pitched nowadays, you can easy access the roof through the upstairs windows without the need of a ladder etc. I suppose for insurance/training purposes, he can’t do it. 

can’t fault the lady at Bt fibre team though, managed to get a quick appointment for next week (previous date was 20th April). 

0 Ratings
Carlusha
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

@jb68wrote:

Every extension roof is pitched nowadays, you can easy access the roof through the upstairs windows without the need of a ladder etc.

Yes, that is exactly how our then connection was repaired - out of our then bedroom window then onto the roof.
The second guy went up a ladder to deal with the other end on the pole.

0 Ratings
jb68
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Thought I would update.

Got fibre 900 installed today and what a difference, had another openreach person and he didn’t mind going on the roof for 2 secs to do the clamp and feed it through. He said the other person could have easily done it as it would have literally took 2 mins on the roof.

Current speed 900 :).
0 Ratings