cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siobhan326
Message 1 of 4

Issues with paper bills and late fees

Hi there we’re having really serious problems with our BT bills. My mother (the name on this account) pays the bill for this and does not use the internet and everyone she has tried to speak to over the phone about her problems hasn’t solved them. This is why I am using her account details to find help about this online.

Over the summer, I logged into this BT account online for the first time in order to start up the BT Wifi with FON to get internet in hotspots outside of the house. Since then, BT started to not send out paper bills to her and send them via the email service online instead without informing her via post or phone, which must have changed automatically as soon as I logged in online as I did not request for this to happen.

She called to change this back to paper bills, however this was not changed and she was charged a late fee. She didn’t receive a paper bill, nor can she use a computer, and so she did not know what or when to pay. This has been happening repeatedly each month (despite her ringing and speaking to people asking this to be changed), where she was not sent a paper bill, then charged a late fee, which isn’t her fault as she was told each time this would be changed to paper bill, and was indeed expecting a paper bill.

Today she had to ring again as our Broadband and phone had been restricted and she has had to pay £19.50; the person said she didn’t pay this from last month, however the person on the phone to my mother last month said she did not have to pay this money and confirmed this with her boss, that it was deducted from her bill as the late fee was not her fault because she didn’t receive a bill.

What is even more confusing is that the person on the phone today said they sent the bill out two days ago (which we have not received), which is when our broadband and phone became restricted.

The person on the phone also told us our bill for this month, which is £81 and said £19.50 would be reduced, but this doesn’t make any sense as my mother just paid £19.50 as aforementioned. Most months my mother pays around £60 when our line rental and amount of phone calls are very minimal, which I think is very expensive in the first place; my mother lives alone and internet is primarily used at weekends when I am home from university or for short periods in the week when my brother visits. She doesn’t have enough money in her bank account each month to pay automatically via Direct Debit which is why she needs the paper bills in order to pay through phone when she acquires enough money.

I also spoke to this same person today on the phone myself and asked again if this has been changed to paper bills and he said yes. Even if we do receive paper bills from now on after this (they said it had been sent out two days ago), my mother has had to pay so much extra money for something that is not her fault, which the BT worker last month agreed with, on top of an already high bill. Is there any way of sorting this out, and also can anyone explain why the bill is so high in the first place, as I am telling her to change to another Broadband provider after all of this?

Also I hope that by logging into this BT Wifi profile/email and creating an account to post this on this forum it is not automatically changing the bills again from paper to online as that would be so frustrating as the reason why I have logged on is because people on the phone have not followed through with their promises of cancelling online bills and cancelling late fees. I am sorry for the long account but we really need this problem to be solved, my mother can’t afford to pay so much money for something that she was promised would be sorted (which is changing online bills to paper and the cancellation of late fees as she did not receive the bills). Thank you.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Issues with paper bills and late fees

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 3 of 4

Hi siobhan326, 

Welcome and thanks for posting. Can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile and I will get this issue resolved for your mother once and for all.

Cheers,

OlgaC

0 Ratings
siobhan326
Message 4 of 4

Thank you!

0 Ratings