Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kkkk
Aspiring Expert
Message 81 of 87

Re: January price increase

@gg30340 wrote:

What part of your email "If you've got other services that aren't showing here, don't worry. It means those prices aren't changing.'  isn't clear?

In the same way many people leaving because of the price rise have got emails saying they owe BT £400 in cancellation charges. forgive me if I don't entirely believe a BT email...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 82 of 87

The email is specific to you. As this is now going round in circles I'll bow out and leave you to decide what you'll do next.

0 Ratings
dj1891
Aspiring Expert
Message 83 of 87

Yep I got the £400 cancellation email, its an error apparently but I have the call recorded just to keep myself right. Don't trust BT as far as I could throw them

0 Ratings
kkkk
Aspiring Expert
Message 84 of 87

Just tried again on chat and they confirmed there will be no increase for me..

0 Ratings
kkkk
Aspiring Expert
Message 85 of 87

BT have stated in their website that "We'll write to you during November & December to let you know about the price changes, with a 'clear breakdown' of how 'each' of your products will be affected."

The wording actually used by BT in the email sent:
"If you've got other services that aren't showing here, don't worry. It means those prices aren't changing.'

I would question if this is a 'clear breakdown of EACH product'.

To me they should have a table perhaps showing the old and new price they have definitely not listed 'each product' as they said they would.

The fact that they say they are putting up broadband in January is a little strange as any new package is a combination of landline and broadband, there is no broadband specifically as far as price is concerned for most customers as they take the landline and broadband as a package. Should they not be saying the package price is increasing?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/c/761/a_id/56087/

0 Ratings
kkkk
Aspiring Expert
Message 86 of 87

There has been some discussion on whether to contact BT or your new provider first if you wish to leave because of the price rise. Looking at OFCOM's guidance on material detriment, it appears to suggest you don't need to contact BT at all before you leave, to me it seems to suggest that if you leave while under the 30 day notice period, BT has to assume you are leaving because of the price rise and cannot 'frustrate' your departure:

A1.25

CPs should also keep in mind the need to comply with all their obligations under the
General Conditions, including as to switching processes. This is particularly
relevant where the rules provide for a gaining provider-led process under which a
subscriber is able to switch providers by contacting a new provider and without
needing to contact their existing one.

A1.26

Neither GC9.6(termination right due to material detriment) itself nor this guidance requires that a subscriber(you) must exercise their rights under that condition by contacting their existing provider. One way the CP(comms provider)
making contract modifications could meet its obligations in a relevant case is by
telling the subscriber that the GC9.6 termination rights may be exercised by
contacting a new provider.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0027/29682/guidance.pdf

On that basis, people should not be receiving those £400(example) cancellation emails, as they are in their 30 day notice period. BT ought to block all cancellation charge emails while they have a price rise period in progress.

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 87 of 87

It's all as clear as mud isn't it.

I'm on ADSL and the link the "my offer" page shows that my Unlimited Broadband price is going up £2/month though my contract expires anyway at the end of Feb.

I pay the line rental in advance (LRS) and gain extra benefits by so doing plus a discount.  The "my offer" tells me I can continue for 18 months at the same (though undiscounted) rate but no mention of the LRS.  And for an additional £2/month + £9.99 delivery I can get a new hub (I have the HH4, getting long in the tooth).  But that £45 for a new hub which I'm not sure is a good deal as I'm only on ADSL anyway.

Seems as if I'm going to have to phone anyway to find out about the Caller Display which came with the LRS.

As regards some that have asked about the cancellation procedure my email states clearly:

"You don't need to do anything but if you want to change something,
please give us a call. If you want to leave and you're within your
minimum contract term, you'll need to call us within 30 days of
receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll
need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching
to a new provider). We won't charge you for any increase in price during
that time."

This seems at odds with some of the advice above and I make no comment on the accuracy, it is just what my email says.

0 Ratings