cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mikerae1980
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Just another BT customer here of 10 years + but despite this BT still wants to get every last penny

Hello all

I'd just like to share my disappointment with BT.

I Just called BT to cancel my service due to vacating a rented property.  Unfortunately I will be living in temp accommodation for the next 6 months and so my only option really is to cancel my service. I've had BT in many of my properties for at least 10 years.  However.... this does not seem to be enough for BT.. because I'm leaving they want to squeeze every last penny by charging me a £77 cancelation fee.

Only had BB in this apartment for around 18 month, a few months ago I had a fairly friendly chap from BT call me and ask if I was happy with my service. It went like this.

BT: Hello Mr Rae, I'm calling to check how your service is going with BT

me:O yes I said, few glitches at the beginning but all sorted now 🙂 

BT:Thats Great MR Rae he said, I have some good news for you. 

me: Really!.. What’s that I said.

BT: I can reduce the price of your broadband because you are a good customer!

me: What a charmer I thought... but he's right I have been with BT for over 10 years. 

BT: MR Rae he said, I will reduce your bill by £20 per month, how does that sound.

me: Great! I'll take up that offer!

and so.. he explained my billing and wished me a good day sir! 

Little did I know I was just signed up for another 12 months until today’s phone call.  At no point did BT point out that I would be tied in for another 12 months. When raised my concerns the operator was told by her line manager I should have checked my emails as it would have been explained.  Nice answer... a get out of jail free card I suspect.  Really! Am I the only one who doesn't check every email from BT and the other 20 company’s trying to sell or screw me out of more money. I don't think so...

For anyone else who gets that same friendly chap offering you a deal.  Please keep in mind you are probably being roped into another 12 months contract.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
mikerae1980
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 22

Re: Just another BT customer here of 10 years + but despite this BT still wants to get every last pe

bump!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 22

Re: Just another BT customer here of 10 years + but despite this BT still wants to get every last pe

What is the bump for?

You said "I'd just like to share my disappointment with BT."

which is what you did when you made your post. As far as I can see you haven't asked for any help or assistant in your post to warrant a reply from forum users.

0 Ratings
mikerae1980
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 22

The bump is so I get my £70 quids worth of letting other people know that bt have unnecessarily taken money from from me. If that makes 1 person think twice and saves them £77 then I've achieved my goal.

But you already know why I bumped this post, you seem a little irritated by this?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 22

Did you seriously think that you would get a reduction without re-contracting?
0 Ratings
mikerae1980
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 22

Like the man said! I was a good customer... ive never cancelled a BT service, always moved home with the service.

Didn't realise BT tied u in every year.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 22

The world is a different place these days
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 22

So, unless my maths is wrong, you have been charged £77 cancellation fee rather than £120 extra monthly charges. You appear to have saved £43

0 Ratings
mikerae1980
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

I guess so... no problem paying the bill but why not tell customers what they agreeing to.(on the phone) Sky sign u up for a 12 month contract as I'm sure other company's do.. why should I think BT would be any different.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 22

To get the best deals you have to re contract and that applies to all providers and come to that all other contracts
0 Ratings