cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Landline free Broadband order requires a phone line?

Was looking at signing up to Fibre2 broadband only (no landline option), but when starting to complete then order it asks for postcode to install landline. There’s no option of proceeding without having to enter postcode for landline check first? Also, it states engineer visit and install is free, but if it’s the no landline option surely I don’t need an engineer and would simply connect the box myself? 

just trying to make sure I’m doing it right, and don’t need engineer 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Landline free Broadband order requires a phone line?

@Manc911 

Its broadband without a phone service, not broadband without a line. You still need a copper or fibre connection to deliver the broadband. The phone service is optional.

They need the address to check what is actually possible.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Well that’s not very clear in the wording “Broadband Only No Landline” 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

@Manc911 wrote:

Well that’s not very clear in the wording “Broadband Only No Landline” 

Its not clear, as people associate a landline as a phone line, and then get confused when there is still line rental included in the total broadband cost. Broadband needs a physical path of some sorts, unless it over the mobile network.

Message 5 of 9

Hi @Manc911, welcome to the forum, and sorry for any confusion.

If you are in a full fibre area then you can order a broadband only package and no phone service.

You can click on the link 'What does Broadband Only' for further information. I hope that makes things clearer but post back and let us know.

JohnC2_0-1641933926484.png

Cheers
John

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Sorry John, I’m still confused. 

going from the screenshot you provided, I can select the third option (Fibre2). It asks me if I want broadband only OR broadband and landline. Inspected the broadband only option but the following screen asks for my postcode to check if I need a landline (if I don’t already have one).  It doesn’t make any sense? I don’t have a landline, but I’m selecting the option that’s showing available to me as a broadband only option? 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

I suspect it asks you if you want Broadband and landline phone service. You don't need the phone service but you do need a landline to deliver the broadband, either copper or fibre.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Address is basically just a check to see if you have an existing physical copper line, used to deliver fibre to the cabinet based broadband services to your property, or an existing fibre optic cable for Ultrafast Fibre to the Property. The address is needed to do a check to see what physical infrastructure already exists at the property.

Term Landline is unfortunately used these days as either meaning the physical cable used to deliver the broadband/voice connection to a common word when speaking about the fixed line voice service.

Message 9 of 9

Hi @Manc911, I understand it can be confusing and thanks @jac_95  for your explanation.

During your order journey if your area if a landline is Not required to provide broadband service you will have the option for Digital Voice or no phone service. 

cheers

John

0 Ratings