cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fm2
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Large sum taken from bank account following move from BT

I am writing on behalf of an elderly lady as she has Parkinsons and struggles to type. Struggling to pay her Sky bill as it had reached so much she rang them and was hard sold their phone line and broadband package. When asked what to do she was told nothing, they would oversee everything. She received a letter from BT saying the contract would be terminated on a certain date but no bill. She subsequently had over £300 taken from her bank account by BT in one payment. This is a one off payment that she simply cannot afford and leaves her short. I appreciate that I need to take this up with Sky too but I am looking for advice as to who to approach concerning this payment.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Large sum taken from bank account following move from BT

Welcome to this user forum.

If she was still in a contract with BT, then she would have been charged cancellation charges for terminating the contact early. That would explain the large amount.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: Large sum taken from bank account following move from BT

Sky should not have advised her to move to them, if she was still in a contract with BT.  It does sound like she was subject to a hard sell, and would have been better to seek advice before making a decision.

How long ago did she move to Sky, as she may be still within her cancellation period?

Some providers offer to pay something towards any cancellation charges incurred if you move to them, so it may be worth asking Sky.

0 Ratings