Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
siteguru
Expert
Message 1 of 15

Latest Bill Is Wrong - Doesn't Account For Overpayment Last Month

Go to solution

Further to my previous thread: https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-Youview-Box-Return/td-p/2136809

My January bill (with charges in advance for February) was charged on the basis of my previous package continuing. My package actually changed on Feb 1st to Fibre 1 only at a new agreed rate but the contract agreement came about too late in January to impact the February bill. Accordingly I was charged £51.04 for February rather than £23.99 - an overpayment of £27.05, so I should have an account credit of £27.05.

My February bill I expected to be £0.00 (£23.99 - £27.05) with £3.06 credit carried forward to the following bill. However I have actually been charged £11.04 ... how on earth can you claim more money off me when you already owe me money?

Can a mod pick this up please and get this resolved? (Sorry but I don't trust online or phone chat to get this done properly).

Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Latest Bill Is Wrong - Doesn't Account For Overpayment Last Month

Go to solution

Are you sure it was changed to impact a full month? Part charges would be usual, what dates does it say you've been charged for the different amounts on the bill?

0 Ratings
siteguru
Expert
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

I agreed my new contract on 18th Jan. My bill was issued on 28th (ish) Jan but it hadn't taken account of my new contract due to start on 1st Feb so it assumed I was remaining on my old package with BT TV (Entertainment Max HD - legacy package) reverting to standard pricing ... basically the bill had been generated without taking account of the new contract.

Note - my bills are scheduled in calendar months, and my new contract started on 1st Feb.

The way my bill is shown in the My BT app is nonsense ... I won't try to explain it because I can't understand it. That's why I'm asking a mod to pick this up. Thanks for your interest but you won't be able to help. 🙂

Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
0 Ratings
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

So if your bill was produced on the 28th you'll have paid up until 27th February (most likely) at the old rate. When the bill was produced just now it'll have saw your contract changed on 1st February & recalculated the cost for the period AFTER 1st February so you wouldn't get the full amount backdated to 28th January

0 Ratings
siteguru
Expert
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

I understand what you're saying ... even if there's a few days still valid for the "old" contract (and note that the "old" contract expired on 31st January, so there shouldn't be anything extra due under it) there's not a hope in hell that I would owe anything in my March bill ... remember I paid £51.04 in my Feb bill versus what should have only been £23.99

As I said before - thanks for your interest but you won't be able to help resolve this - only a mod can, hence my request. Please don't think I'm being disrespectful but my only further replies will be to a mod.

Thanks
Ian
0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

Looking at the previous thread the indications are that the OP discussed the contract changes on 18 Jan?

Could the charges be due to the standard notice periods for the BT TV and Sport package.

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @siteguru,  welcome back and sorry you are having trouble with your latest bill.

Your package rental charges would be broken down under the rental charge and would show a refund of rental from the 1st of Feb for your old package, and a charge for the period from the 1st until your bill date for the new package at £23.99 (pro rata), and a further £23.99 for the advance months rental.

If you think the bill is incorrect please chat with the Live Chat Billing team and they'll be able to help. Post back and let us know how you get on.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
siteguru
Expert
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Hi John,
I'll try Live Chat (tomorrow as they're not available right now) but I've had mixed results in the past - hence the request for a mod to check on this. My last bill was like below (bearing in mind that this was previously £34.27 under the previous contract and the previous outstanding balance was £0.00):

Broadband package £28.98
One of your discounts has finished
Your regular charges
Broadband and Calls28 Jan - 27 Feb £28.98
Fibre 1 and Calls
Includes Special offer discount ending 01 Feb 2021
TV & Entertainment with free BT Sport £22.06
Your regular charges are £22.06
Your regular charges
Max HD discount for 18 months28 Jan - 01 Feb -£1.94
Max HD28 Jan - 27 Feb £24.00
Bill total
£51.04

My latest bill shows:

Broadband package £18.78
Your services have changed since your last bill
Your regular charges
Broadband Package28 Feb - 27 Mar £23.99
Fibre 1
Includes Special offer discount
Your contract ends on 31 Jan 2023
What's changed since your last bill?
18 Feb - 27 Feb
Broadband Package £20.89
Fibre 1
Part month charge:
Charge for your new product from 01 Feb £27.86
Includes discount for Special offer discount -£6.97
Broadband and Calls -£26.10
Fibre 1
Part month credit:
Refund for your old product you paid in advance-£26.36
Recharge for the discount you received in advance£0.26
TV & Entertainment -£7.74
Your services have changed since your last bill
What's changed since your last bill?
18 Feb - 27 Feb
Max HD -£7.74
This is a refund for this service on your old plan
Bill total
£11.04

There's no way at all that I can owe £11.04, not when I already overpaid by £27.05 last month. The latest bill seems to be charging me still at the old (contract expired) rate up to 27-Feb even though my new contract started on 01-Feb.

Thanks
Ian
0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @siteguru  thanks and if you can't get it sorted with the billing team we'll be happy to help.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
siteguru
Expert
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Regarding notice periods ... nothing was said about this when I re-contracted on 18-Jan. I was not advised that the TV package would end in 30 days/1 month - indeed I was told (and the work order confirmed this) that my TV package would end on 31-Jan, and it did. There's not a hope that I'm going to pay for a TV package that I wasn't receiving.

Thanks
Ian
0 Ratings