Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rubble2
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 3

Leaving BT - I suspect that this is going to end in a struggle

I am in the process of migrating two accounts away from BT (switchover date 21 August) - hopefully.

One account has Infinity 2 and Youview included, this is the one I am most concerned with.

When I checked my last online bill which was generated on 2nd July I was suprised to see that the account was £97 in credit and a note on the account saying that because I was so much in credit they would not be taking any payments from me for three months and that my payments from then on would be £14.00 per month - this is for Line rental, Infinity 2 and TV package, bear in mind that my payments up until the last bill were £50 per month.

When I checked the bill I noticed that the bill did not mention any charges for the Infinity package for the next three month period. Because I wanted to avoid an (inevitable) situation where they would suddenly realise the mistake and take a massive payment off me for months worth of broadband I rang and spoke to Customer services.

The first rep I spoke to couldn't see the problem and just kept saying that my payments had been reduced because of the False credit showing on the account - got nowhere.

Second time I called the person seemed to grasp what I was saying and assured me that (on my request) they would commence taking out the original £50 payment again from August.

I checked MyBt last week and saw that the credit was still showing and the new reduced payment schedule was still in place - third call to CS who told me that all was in order and that the My Bt page would only be updated at the next bill date (Why?).

Checked again today to see if August payment was taken - no payment has gone through.

Now to complicate matters further, since all this began BT announced their price increase and I have elected to close both my accounts and transfer to Plusnet.

The final bill situation with BT had me concerned enough anyway without this extra complication, I feel I am going to struggle  to see if what they want to charge me on the final exit bill is right or not, given the mess thay have made of the billing so far.

I guess all I can do is wait and see what happens - if nothing else it has reassured me that leaving BT is the right thing to do, been a customer of more years than I care to remember but totally hacked off with price rises and general incompetence.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Leaving BT - I suspect that this is going to end in a struggle

@rubble2 wrote:

I am in the process of migrating two accounts away from BT (switchover date 21 August) - hopefully.

One account has Infinity 2 and Youview included, this is the one I am most concerned with.

When I checked my last online bill which was generated on 2nd July I was suprised to see that the account was £97 in credit and a note on the account saying that because I was so much in credit they would not be taking any payments from me for three months and that my payments from then on would be £14.00 per month - this is for Line rental, Infinity 2 and TV package, bear in mind that my payments up until the last bill were £50 per month.

When I checked the bill I noticed that the bill did not mention any charges for the Infinity package for the next three month period. Because I wanted to avoid an (inevitable) situation where they would suddenly realise the mistake and take a massive payment off me for months worth of broadband I rang and spoke to Customer services.

The first rep I spoke to couldn't see the problem and just kept saying that my payments had been reduced because of the False credit showing on the account - got nowhere.

Second time I called the person seemed to grasp what I was saying and assured me that (on my request) they would commence taking out the original £50 payment again from August.

I checked MyBt last week and saw that the credit was still showing and the new reduced payment schedule was still in place - third call to CS who told me that all was in order and that the My Bt page would only be updated at the next bill date (Why?).

Checked again today to see if August payment was taken - no payment has gone through.

Now to complicate matters further, since all this began BT announced their price increase and I have elected to close both my accounts and transfer to Plusnet.

The final bill situation with BT had me concerned enough anyway without this extra complication, I feel I am going to struggle  to see if what they want to charge me on the final exit bill is right or not, given the mess thay have made of the billing so far.

I guess all I can do is wait and see what happens - if nothing else it has reassured me that leaving BT is the right thing to do, been a customer of more years than I care to remember but totally hacked off with price rises and general incompetence.

So you are leaving BT retail and going to BT owned Plusnet. All ISP's watch each other like lost sheep. When one puts there price up so do all the others. Only difference I can see that you are getting is UK based support, but from reading on there forums this can be a very long wait on the phone.

Good luck anyway

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
rubble2
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Leaving BT - I suspect that this is going to end in a struggle

It is true of course that all BB providers increase their charges - in fact Plusnet have already announced a price increase in September.

However (taking that into account) not only will I get UK based support department but I will be saving nearly £20 per month on a like for like product.

Should Plusnet increase their prices again during the term of my contract then I am of course able to change provider again without penalty (who knows? I may even go back to BT - provided they get my final bill sorted without any drama)

0 Ratings