Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
shaw600
Message 1 of 6

Leaving BT for TalkTalk

Hi

I am leaving BT for TalkTalk as they are much cheaper.

However, TalkTalk have told me that my service will start on 1st April 2016 but BT have told me that my swap over date is 8th March 2016. Needless to say this would leave me without internet for 3 weeks (whilst I complete my final year uni project!).

I spoke to BT and asked them to change the swap over date, they told me that it is not possible unless I cancel the order. I then spoke to TalkTalk who told me that BT can delay the date. I have since contacted BT via email and I am still awaiting a response - it's been over a week.

Has anyone experienced something similar before? What can I do?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Leaving BT for TalkTalk

TalkTalk have their own equipment in many of the exchanges (LLU), so this involves a lot more work which TT have to arrange with Openreach.

If Openreach are very busy, then that can take quite a while.

If you were migrating from BT to a non LLU provider, then in most cases its simply a software configuration change.

I would suggest that you make alternative arrangements for Internet access during that period.

It probably would have been better to wait until you had finished your uni project, before changing providers.

You could always cancel the BT cease and TT order, then start again after your project.

0 Ratings
shaw600
Message 3 of 6

Thank you Keith.

How come BT can't just reschedule the switch overcease date?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

BT cannot change the date as it will be the first available date Openreach have to carry out the exchange work needed
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@shaw600 wrote:

Thank you Keith.

How come BT can't just reschedule the switch overcease date?

BT will want to free their equipment for re-use by another BT customer as soon as possible. TT only rent the wires from Openreach, so its up to TT to bring their date forward, as it seems they are going to be taking a long time to provide service.

BT would normally aim to provide services to their customers in about 10 days.

I would have thought that TT could manage 10 days after BT release the line, ie 18th March.

You will never get un-interrupted service if you move to or from an LLU provider, owing to the extra work that is needed.

0 Ratings
spyhunter
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Switching to Talk Talk is 100% handled by Talk Talk.

Any issues then you need to speak to Talk Talk.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/ofcom-for-business-consumers/switching/switching-broadband/