Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adamskiodp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Leaving BT

Hi folks,

After many years with BT I am looking to migrate away to another provider (because BT can’t/won’t give me the same deal as new customers).

As the migration process takes about 10 days, should I start the process 9 days before the end of my current BT contract or wait until after? BT require 14 days notice to migrate so should I tell my new supplier to take at least 14 day before transferring or does it all just happen automatically? I just don’t want to pay two companies twice for the same service or pay termination fees.

kind regards,

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Leaving BT

@Adamskiodp 

I assume you have already spoken to BT on 0800 800 030, to negotiate the price, especially if you are out of contract?

Just a warning, please check the broadband availability website first, before you do anything else, because if the cabinet is full, and showing a waiting list, you will lose your connection if you move provider, and could be waiting a long time to get it back.

Broadband availability checker

If you decide to move provider, and are out of contract, then just contact your new provider, and they do the rest. Be aware that you may not be able to keep your phone number, if its important to you.

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

You do not need to tell BT anything.

You select your new ISP and they do all the move for you. 

You should be able to tell your new ISP when you want the take over to take place and that should happen but to be on the safe side so that you don't get hit with early termination fees I would make it as close to your end contract date as possible and perhaps even the day after.

Adamskiodp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

0E552F42-3B37-4983-A5B7-85E8C18656A5.jpegHi 
Hi Keith,

Does the above photo show that space is available?

Many thanks,

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Yes.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

@gg30340 wrote:

Yes.

Agreed, provided it does not change in the near future.

Adamskiodp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Thanks all,

I’ll check again on the day I start the new order.

kind regards,

0 Ratings