cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

Leaving BT

Recently the whole area where i live has just had fibre optics installed . So I signed up as BT hasn't got complete fibre optics in our area. I have been with BT for nearly 20 years and to my surprise they want to charge me over £440 cancelation charges I am over 85 and I disgusted at the draconian exit charge and its not fair

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: Leaving BT

sorry but can't believe you were not aware that you were in a fixed term contract with BT and terminating that contract early will result in cancellation charges based on the remainder of your contract.  This is standard practice and not something only done by BT

I am surprised your new provider did not advise you that you would face cancellation charges when terminating early but maybe thought knowing about charges you would not place an order  some companies offer to pay towards your cancellation charges if/when you join them

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

I suspect the cancellation charges were in small print or at the time I renewed the operator spoke too fast to grasp all the implications of the cancellation. The point is BT don't offer Full Fibre and its totally unfair to load a draconian charge on a 20 year customer who will probably never come back to BT because of it.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Ahhh standard little child "It's not fair response".

Fact is you agreed to a contract for 24 months yet are now wanting to leave it early & expect to get to do so free of charge (against t&c's) because "it's not fair", you'll just have to learn to read what you're agreeing to in the future to be completely blunt

Message 5 of 18

@leshiggins1 

if you have been with BT for 20 years then you must have renewed your contract many times and the cancellation charges have been on every contract you have renewed.  This is not something new.  you have made a mistake switching when still in contract and now need to pay the cost just like anyone else

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 18

Why would you expect to get a hefty discount for taking out a 2 year contract and then not have to pay cancellation charges when dishonouring the contract?

There is no point in giving a discount for a 2 year contract if there is no penalty for breaking it!!

Surely it's standard practice with any contract you enter into with any industry.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Presumably you are still in your cooling off period with your new supplier (?), it may be prudent to have a re-think.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

What discount. I pay on average £66 per month . The point is there was no fibre optics where I live and I believe BT have been slow to Roll out Fibre Optics  when compared to other countries. A local Firm in Cardiff is covering many areas in South Wales and further more much cheaper than BT. This firm I mentioned had to channel out the road and install the Fibre Optics to all residents free of charge ,no installation charge free modem why couldn't BT do that?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

No BT  Fibre Optics in area

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

the installation of the fibre cables is nothing to do with BT Retail it is installed by openreach and while they are part of BT Group have no contact with BT Retail anymore than they have with SKY/TT and other ISPs

looks like you just need to 'bite the bullet' and pay cancellation fee

0 Ratings