cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MattDu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Leaving after a renewal

In my original contract I had Broadband and mobile, the phone has always been with BT. My original speed was about 48Mb, with a 40Mb guarantee. I renewed my contract in December, then like everyone the world got upended.
I ran a speed test in May because of drops in speed and connection. The drops have continued but my download has settled at 34 Mb. And up till now I've been happy to wait till they can get back out and return me to my original speed. But it seems that's not going to happen because they have now reset the guarantee for my area to 32Mb.
So two other providers have offered me a guaranteed 48Mb for half of what I'm paying at the moment. As far as I'm aware by dropping below my original speed guarantee and after a 90 days period without fixing it, I am now entitled to leave.
I renewed my Broadband over the phone for 18 months, no mention of home phone or mobile, so I'm guessing they rolled over as well? This was also at a price point, £10 more than I would now pay as a new customer.
Which brings me to my questions?
The new providers want to take over line rental, that seem straight forward but my mobiles are also BT and without the £5 broadband reduction not worth keeping. Do I have the right to cancel them as part of my package without being penalised?
My right to cancel was at the start of the month but I as far as I've read I can only cancel over the phone?
And finally I have PTSD, severe anxiety, Tourette’s (fun on the phone for no one) and several other fun and interesting conditions(can now see my psychologists face to face again but do also have to go outside), so some days/hours are good and some are bad.
Some days I can't get out of bed so ringing is impossible and with "we are experiencing high call volume", days have now been over a week. How long after my 90days (usually 30) does my right to cancel last?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
garybs29
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: Leaving after a renewal

Have you actually spoke to BT & got the speeds investigated? If not you won't be able to leave. Under the guarantee you also have to let them know & give them a chance to resolve the issue first as well.

Also are you running the tests via wireless or via ethernet? If it's wireless have you tried running via ethernet as well?

0 Ratings
MattDu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I took your advice and did speak to BT, the first person put the phone down on me.  It's very off putting to have someone make strange noises, shout random words, and hold three way conversation out loud between the two of us, I did warn him first and explained this is why I don't talk on the phone,  but after a few minutes the line went dead. There is a real person trapped in here. Not a good experience. 

The second try, I recorded and told them so but I needn't have bother because this one was a lot more sympathetic, unfortunately after being passed to support another friendly individual, I was informed that due to a fault at the exchange they couldn't look at my problem today and I have to go through it all again tomorrow. Lets hope we get a nice one.

As to you questions. I have a BT HG612 modem with a  netgear AX8, hardwired to my main computers and several NAS units. Wireless it's connected to Hue, Alexa, Ring, Blink,  and numerous other gadgets, tv's, alarms, weather station etc, etc (I do not let my mental health define me).  The home hub is a bit of a nightmare to work with.

But obviously that would not be ideal for testing so, as with all BT tests, I dusted off and plugged my Smart Hub back in and then ethernet straight to a laptop. I only use the laptop as a spare so it is mainly a blank Win 10 2004 build. And I made sure all drivers, etc were up to date before I started the test.    

0 Ratings
MattDu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

August 21 an engineer came to visit, boosted my speed for about a week but didn't fix any of my high ping and disconnect issues.

Contacted BT, they admitted that there was still a fault and that I would get compensation till it was fixed(didn't happen)and they would send someone as soon as possible. 

And importantly if I leave before this second engineer visit they would charge me for the whole of my contract.

I bought my mother a Echo Show, so we can talk and importantly, I can see her. I find going outside very stressful and her Cancer has spread to the point its now just a matter of time; three to six months. Every few second the video breaks up and she's given up on it.

The engineer showed up yesterday OCTOBER 18 replaced the box on the wall, admitted that wasn't the problem but my line was defiantly faulty. I ran several speed test while he was there all showing completely different results with large variations. He told me he would now pass me over to another part of BTwholesale because he only deals with the inside problems but could see there was a problem and said it would only get worse and I would need another engineer to fix my obvious problems and the junction box. 

BT CLOSED MY CASE declaring it to be fixed.

So I'll post this here for a while in hope that one of the suits will grow a conscience, while I write it all up and paste it all over the internet as a warning to other, that are thinking of going with BT.

If anyone has any legal advice, I would be grateful and if any news sites would like to run this I'm happy to provide all screen shots etc or anything else you may need.

I've just had enough of all of it. I know its a pandemic and I wish you all well but companies using it as an excuse to rip us off is wrong.

0 Ratings
MattDu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

19/10/2020  14.0019/10/2020 14.0019/10/2020  14.0519/10/2020 14.05

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

can you post some connection stats instead of download speed bearing in mind that any guarantees are bsaed on connection speed not download speed

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MattDu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 8 of 13

Hi @MattDu,

Thank you for posting. I can understand your frustration and I'm sorry your service hasn't been repaired after the engineer's visit. If you send me in your details, I'd like to take a look at your connection and run a few checks on your line. 

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact me.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

What about hub/router stats?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MattDu
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

The above may show max but not minimum and how its fluctuating I'm lost to what this is for, it doesn't show my disconnections or that at this very moment my download speed is at 5Mbps and my ping is over 200. The up is at 13Mbps so, yay for that.

Strangely it's dated 2 days ago when the engineer was at the house so I would be surprised if it didn't look good then. How do I make one from right now? 

Incidentally I found my contract and my guaranteed minimum speed is higher than my first post, my mistake, I can copy and post. So, even if they are looking at ideals to see if they can pretend it's ok because it did it once, it's still under my contracted connection speed anyway. The first engineer that came in August boosted me to almost exactly my minimum when he visited, that lasted less than a week and fix nothing.

Sorry if this all sound like I'm raging, I'm not in the best headspace right now, it's frustrating and I just want to go outside and scream, that it's all unfair 

As a update they have again checked the line and found it is faulty and are now sending an engineer (that can work both inside and outside????) to take a look on Wednesday but none of them can figure out how to reinstate the original report so they will have to start a new one from today. So it's now only been 1 day I've had a fault. Took screen shots of it all.

0 Ratings