cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
helenb2910
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 22

Letter Offering Free Basic Broadband at no charge March 17 - what happens after 12 months?

Go to solution

Hello

I hope I am posting to the correct place.  My parents received a letter in March 2017 from Libby Barr offering them free basic broadband. They were told they were eligible customers.  This said it was a ongoing thing and even after the 12 month contract ended they would pay "nothing extra".  I still have the letter now. 

The customer services team knew nothing about this letter it when I rang up for my parents last year. Even after they had agreed to set it up they told me that BT couldn't offer this free after the 12 months.      We went ahead with it anyway knowing I would need to phone again before the contract expired.  It left us all feeling very confused though.  Why send this letter and not tell your staff about it or give us something special to quote?

My question is:  We are reaching the end of the 12 months. How do I know that BT will honour this free basic broadband at no extra charge?  What do I need to do or quote / who do I speak to to ensure this continues?  I think my mum will get a shock in April if they start to charge her. 

I rang customer services a couple of weeks ago and they could see a discount showing on my parents BT account but they did not give me the warm feeling that this discount would continue after the current contract exprired.

I hope that someone else can help here as many of us may be in the same position over the next month or so as the letters all seemed to be dated March 2017.   Many thanks

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 22

Re: Letter Offering Free Basic Broadband at no charge March 17 - what happens after 12 months?

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Re: Letter Offering Free Basic Broadband at no charge March 17 - what happens after 12 months?

Go to solution

Hi @helenb2910,

Throughout the year we do offer different deals. I did place an order for something similar to this last year. Normally, there should be a trace of the letter that was sent out on the account. Either I or one of my team can go over your parents account to see what offer is in place and if it's going to continue at full price or not. We will help.

To reach us, click on my user name and then on contact the mods. That'll let you complete a web form. As soon as it reaches the top of our queue, we will be in touch.

EDIT: On that letter there is a contact number that should take you through to the dedicated team who were helping with this. If you have already called it and didn't get any further forward, then please go ahead and contact us through the web form.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
helenb2910
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

Hello Daniel 

Many thanks for your help.  the number on the letter is 0800 328 2240.  Not sure if this is a special number though.  When I rang it to set it up last year the person at the other end really didn't understand anything about the letter my parents had received.  I will certainly try it again though and if not will be in touch as you suggest.  I have the original letter still so can always scan and send it through. Kind regards Helen 

0 Ratings
helenb2910
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Hello Daniel.  I phoned the 0800 328 2240 number today and spoke to a lady called Nicole in your warrington call centre. at 13.10hrs.  I assume calls are recorded to follow this up if necessary.   

She was very helpful and checked my mums account and confirmed that the current monthly discount of £17 or so pounds is being applied up to the 26/3/18 but after that her contract ends so she could not say if the discount would then stop.   She held no information about this letter and the offer that that mum is on at the moment - there appears to be no reference or product code applied to my mums account which ensures that this will continue for her.  

All she could suggest is that we ring again in March when the contract ends to see what deals are available.    Sadly this does not reflect the letter which clearly states " And its not just an introductory price - you'll carry on paying nothing extra for broadband even when you 12 month contract ends'

If I now flag this via the route you suggested yesterday will I receive something more definate about whether BT will honour this arrangement as per the letter sent last year.   I don't feel this is treating us as the the customer very fairly expecting us to chase for something which was an offer made by BT to us in the first place.

Thanks again for  your help with this. Regards Helen   

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

I suggest you take up Daniel's offer and complete the form by clicking the 'contact the mods' link, you have nothing to lose and the mods have a very good track record of resolving problems.

0 Ratings
helenb2910
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

Thanks I will do.  Hopefully the progress of this posting will help a few others finding themselves in a similar position. It may save a few phonecalls along the way.  Regards Helen 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

My mum received a letter offering “Our free broadband giveaway keeps on going” This is an offer of free unlimited basic broadband on a one month contract. The only term mentioned if you leave within the first 12 months there will be a charge for the hub.

The phone on this letter is 0800 345 7308.

Stew

0 Ratings
helenb2910
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

Hi there, That sounds like another offer and another freephone number to the one we had on the letter date March 2017.  

Its great that BT are offering these deals and sending out mailshot letters but I do feel for the customer services teams. When you phone to request it to be set up they just don't know anything about them.  Surely it would make sense for BT Comms team to include a reference or something to quote so that the staff can at least search to see a copy of the letter and know what we are asking them about. 

Hope you managed to sort out your query too. 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

I don’t have a query. My mum is 92. She does not want broadband.

Stew

0 Ratings