cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CatherineM
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Long term overcharging

Apologies in advance for this long post. This has been dragging on for years and I'm at my wits' end. Am hoping one of the mods will see this and investigate or perhaps someone else can advise if they've been in the same situation.

We switched to BT broadband back in July 2014 and initially (July-Dec 2014) paid the expected £35.50 per month. Then in Jan and Feb 2015 we were randomly charged £117.50, it dropped back to £58 in March then went back up to £109.50. I'll spare you the breakdown of umpteen months since then but our payments are usually around £90 per month which is frankly ridiculous. We normally use our mobiles (not on BT contracts, thankfully) to make calls so the monthly payment covers the line rental, unlimited broadband and BT sport. Previous contact with BT has resulted in our payments briefly going down to £60 which was still too high compared to our usage. I was told a couple of years ago that the high payments were because we'd had an outstanding balance that had to be paid off but nobody was able to specify what this amount was or why it wasn't mentioned when we switched to BT broadband. We've always paid our bill by direct debit so it's unclear how this alleged outstanding balance even came about. In any event, surely this alleged overpayment was settled years ago, given we've been paying almost a thousand quid a year to BT!! Just logged in to my BT account to see our June bill and we are apparently £215. 78 in credit and yet our payment was still £87. I believe we have been overcharged for around five years so the amount we are in credit by should be a lot higher but anyway why is our payment still so high if we're in credit?! I don't know what to do. Having to find nearly £100 a month is really stressful as we're on a tight budget. Fair enough if we'd racked up a big phone bill but I can't even remember the last time we used the landline to make a call. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks for reading all this!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Long term overcharging

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are very busy at present so it can take up to 24 hours for them to contact you. They will do this by posting on this thread.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

When was the last time you renegotiated your package with BT?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 4 of 9

My guess is your minimum term is up so your discounted period has ended, you would of been told the start of the contract and the duration, after that you pay standard prices unless you contact BT and negotiate a discount.

The reason you're in credit is you have what's known as a monthly payment plan, you're paying a fixed amount regardless of what the bill is.

I would advise contacting the loyalty team, ask them for an account review, get a discount in place, they'll also check your call usage to see if a calling plan would benefit you, once you have a discount negotiated, then speak to billing and ask to be put on a 'whole bill direct debit' this will take the guess work out of the bills, you'll only pay the amount you owe, billing will also be able to refund your credit, it'll take up to 5 working days and go to the account the bills come out of.

Message 5 of 9

Hi @CatherineM,

Welcome to the community forum and thank you for posting. 

Having read your post  I agree with @-Richie-  it sounds like you've been set up on the Monthly Payment Plan. Which would explain why the monthly payment would have been higher than expected and why there is a credit balance on your account.

If you would like, I'd be more than happy to take a look at your account. 

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact me. You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
CatherineM
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

No, we signed up for BT broadband (we were already landline customers) in July 2014 and paid what we were supposed to for two months and then the bill randomly jumped up. Also, we're not paying a fixed amount every month - it changes every now and again, regardless of usage (or lack of). I can't get any sense out of BT, nobody seems to know why we're paying the amounts we have been. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Hi @CatherineM,

Don't worry once I have your details, I'll take a look at what is happening with your account.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
CatherineM
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Many thanks, have replied to your private messsage. As I've said though the amounts have fluctuated over the years and also we've never been offered or agreed to a monthly payment plan. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

0 Ratings