Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Loss of broadband

Go to solution

Hi,

I came home from work today to find a complete loss of broadband with an orange light on the router (BTHub6)!

I ran the connetion check in the Hubs web ui and it's saying there's a problem, give us a call. So I did but only to go through the usual 'have you rebooted/factory reset/master socket' nonsense you always go through and for them to tell me an engineer needs to come to my house which will be next week at the earliest, and only at times where noone can be home! I've to delay booking the visit until I can arrange time off with my employer next week so I'm going to be looking at the end of next week at the earliest to have someone come around and i'm going to lose money by taking holiday for BT to fix an issue with their service??.

I've had a look at the event log on the router and it's showing:

':PPPoE connection could not be established. Login failed but there was no detailed information delivered by the radius server' 

and the connection wizard is quoting code: NC3-1.

From my limted knowledge of networking, I'm a software engineer so know a small amount, this to me seems like an authentication issue at BT's side, or an issue with the infrastructure between my property and BT where the request is getting lost!  I'm really hoping someone on here can help me out so that I don't have to use my holiday allowance for BT to send someone to my house to get them to fix an issue with their system!

Thanks,

Tom

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Loss of broadband

Go to solution

having done the usual checks, factory reset hub and checked for dial tone at test socket I can't see anything more you can do and need the engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply!

I was afraid that was going to be the case but had hoped someone on here might have a magic wand they could wave to save me the agro involved with all that! 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Its worth checking to see if your phone number has changed, due to a crossed line, which can happen if someone is working on a cable.

Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Keith! you are a very clever man and you deserve much praise and/or biscuits whichever you prefer!

so just plugged a phone into the landline and called my mobile, the number is not the number on all of my paperwork!  (i've never used the landline before today but I've had working internet for 3 months so it must have been correct!).

I'm hoping this is something they can sort without me having to be in for an engineer now so i'll be calling them again first thing tomorrow!

Thank you!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Somebody has crossed your line with another, which is why your broadband does not authenticate.

Make a note of the number that you have been crossed with, and let BT know.

Also check your phone bill, as you may have been charged for another person`s calls.