cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atsang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Lots of sales call to my NEW NUMBER

I just have my home phone activated, I believe the number I was given was once used by someone - I have been receiving recorded sales messages throughout the day and even 5AM!!!!!

What can I do?

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Lots of sales call to my NEW NUMBER

most numbers are reused after a period of time there is little you can do apart from getting a number change which is chargable
0 Ratings
Highlighted
atsang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

I'm sure there is something BT can do, isn't there a kind of spam filter for telecoms?!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 16

@atsang wrote:

I'm sure there is something BT can do, isn't there a kind of spam filter for telecoms?!

If they are recorded calls, can you indentify the company. If so you can report them to the ICO here:

http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/privacy_and_electronic_communications.aspx

[edit] The only spam filters that I know off are called the TPS, some people say it works for some type of calls.

The other spam filter is hard cash, either to pay your provider to block certain calls or to purchase some form of call blocker like CPR or Truecall.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 16

I guess I am in the same boat with my debt collector calls, as I was very lucky to receive the number of a bankrupted company.

Being charged for a number change would stick in my throat.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 16

@ancientferguson wrote:

I guess I am in the same boat with my debt collector calls, as I was very lucky to receive the number of a bankrupted company.

Being charged for a number change would stick in my throat.

Although best to be registered to the TPS, in this case(Debt Collection calls) the TPS cannot help you. If you read the piece below , you should firts of all ask the company to stop calling and remove your details. If they fail to do so you can complain directly to the Information Commisioners Office.

Does registration with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) stop debt collection?

"Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a central opt out register whereby individuals can register their wish not to receive live unsolicited direct marketing calls. Organisations chasing an outstanding amount are not obliged to screen their data against the TPS register as the calls do not relate to selling/marketing of a product or service.
Non direct marketing calls including debt collection falls outside of the remits within which the TPS operates. If the organisation is making debt collection calls to your number for a debt not owed please seek advice from your local Trading Standards.
If they are asking for an individual not known or associated with you please advise the company accordingly and request suppression of your telephone number. If they continue to call disregarding your request, please contact the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) who are the body responsible for enforcing the regulation surrounding the Data Protect Act (DPA). They may be able to offer more practical advice or guidance from a data protection perspective. Their details are:
Information Commissioners Office
Tel: 03031231113
Web: http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/privacy_and_electronic_communications.aspx

Debt, collection, credit control

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
atsang
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

It's fine for BT to reuse their number, but I think they should wait for at least a few years before releasing them to new customers. It is simply nuisance reciving sales calls, survey calls, recorded messages AT 3AM, 5AM!!!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

it is not always possible to leave a number inactive as there are only limited numbers available at an exchange for new connections you can always apply for a number change but it is chargeable at £25.00 and there is no guarantee it has not been used before
0 Ratings
Bob1001
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 16

Although it will yet again cost money. BT and others sell phones and other gadgets that allow you to block calls.

0 Ratings
bethechange
Message 10 of 16

I'm having the same problem, first call was within an hour of the line being connected (I didn't even know my number at that point!), and have received 1 an hour since! I find this outrageous and unacceptable as I purposely chose to be ex directory as I suffer from stress and severe anxiety and cannot handle unsolicited calls. Surely BT have an obligation to ensure customers selecting ex directory are given 'clean' numbers, as surely they understand that a large number of people choosing not to be listed will be vulnerable people? I was given caller display but that's not compatible with my phone and I don't see why I should have to buy a new phone because BT are not ensuring the numbers are not on telemarketing databases. Surely this is easy to do for the UK's main telecom company, which maintains and operates the UK network?

0 Ratings