cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Managing account and changing landline that broadband uses

Go to solution

Hi, bit a of complex situation and question. I live at home with my parents who are in their 70's who are not tech savvy and do not use the internet. Several years ago we had an additional landline fitted (which of course has a different phone number), which is the one is used by me for the internet only through another broadband provider, though the line rental is with BT. I think this line is now counter productive and obviously adding expense. I am just able to swap the broadband router to the main original landline, and then cancel the account for the additional line, so we are then using the one main original landline for calls and internet? The BT is in account is my dads name, but it is my mum who signs the Giro cheques when paying the bills.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Managing account and changing landline that broadband uses

Go to solution

If I read this right you have the following :

Line 1 with BT and broadband from another provider
Line 2 with BT but no broadband

If that is right, you can call BT and add broadband to Line 2, should take around 5-10 days to give live, during this time cancel Line 1 and give 30 days notice, the broadband from the other provider will cease when the line stops.

Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

As already stated , you cannot simply connect a router to a non broadband line and expect a broadband service , you will need to arrange broadband to be added to the non broadband line , and also cease the line/broadband service on the line that’s no longer needed ( otherwise you would keep paying for it ) ….if ‘your’ line has separate providers ( one for broadband and BT for line rental ) then although ceasing the line rental should trigger the cease of broadband with whoever supply’s it , it may be prudent to also contact them .
As far as your ‘parents’ landline, if you add broadband from whoever they pay line rental to, it should be simple, if you want broadband from a different company to their line rental company then your parents phone service may be affected, if the broadband provider you want to use, decides to take over all services on the line .

Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you for your reply

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Becoming New BT Customer and Account Holder

Go to solution

Hi, hope someone can help and advise. I still live at home with my parents who are in their 70's and are not tech savvy and don't know how to or use the internet. At the property we currently have 2 landlines both through BT:

Line 1 is the original landline with same long term phone number

Line 2 installed several years ago with different phone number but with broadband from another provider.

The account is in my dads name and I understand from reading similar subjects on here, that you can not simply change/move the account holder from one person to another, because BT have to do credit checks for bill paying etc. Can I place a new order online, for the same address and just for one landline (landline 1 in this case), will it then automatically generate a letter to the current account holder (my dad in this case) advising the line is being taken over by a new customer? and will that mean a new phone number too? Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Re: Becoming New BT Customer and Account Holder

Go to solution
0 Ratings