cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Managing someone else's account online

I am trying to set up being able to view my elderly mother's bills on her new account (she just transferred from Plusnet).

When I phone up, the call centre person can see my name on the system and recognise me as someone able to manage the account. They send a PIN text to my mobile and I have to repeat it verbally to them. Not had any issue proving who I am at all. Probably because my mobile number was given to them as the original account contact number when I set it up, and I have the same surname. The account has her landline and email, and my mobile number.

However on the website My BT, I have set up my own profile with my own email, then inputted a request to manage with my mother's account number. It asks for verification, so I requested it send her the notification - she is supposed to get a PIN to pass to me. However, it does not work. It comes up with her correct account name and says it has been requested, but no email seems to be sent to her.

She has a gmail account which my sister and I manage for her, and she does get (plenty of) other emails from BT, but no email with the PIN. I cancelled one request to try again, and it did send her an email saying I had cancelled!  So why isn't it sending the PIN? Or is it sending it out by post? It doesn't mention that it will do that.

It is very Kafka (hence my username). I asked the call centre on one of my many calls to them [that's another Kafka-esque nightmare by the way] and they say yes they can see that I can manage her account.

Anyone got any ideas? On Plusnet I used to log in directly to her account as her, and my name was just listed as a manager. Should I delete my profile and do that?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Managing someone else's account online

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

@kafka-esque wrote:

Anyone got any ideas? On Plusnet I used to log in directly to her account as her, and my name was just listed as a manager. Should I delete my profile and do that?

Yes, don't complicate things by creating a separate Account Manager role which is very limited in any case.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

OK thanks, does that mean I need to set up another online profile as her? And then allow myself to manage as me?

She cannot set up a profile as herself as she is 85 and doesn't do that kind of thing.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Why are you making it so complicated, just pretend you are her.

Until she has BTid, you can't create an account manager role in any case.

Message 6 of 6

Ok I just managed to log in as her, she already had an account which seemed to have been set up automatically, which had my mobile number on it, so just I pretended I forgot the password and got a PIN by text.

I won't bother with my account, that seems a needless complication as you say.

Thanks for your help both.

0 Ratings