cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brunettejet
Message 1 of 6

Mid contract price rises

Go to solution
Just a bit of a whinge. Back in May this Yr, my husband contacted B.T with a view to leaving. This followed an issue with the bt sport not being cancelled when requested. Anyway, a very helpful man sorted out hubby’s issues and negotiated a 12 month deal for broadband and the associated landline ( no phones attached). He advised us to make a note in our diaries to contact B.T again in 11months to negotiate a new deal so as to avoid returning to our substantial monthly bill price. Hubby and I were pleased as loyal customers for more yrs than I’d like to admit lol. Anyway, in June, July, August and September we were indeed charged at our Newly negotiated rate. However, this morning I noticed an extra £5 had been added to our bill and debited from our acct. I called to query this and was advised that this was because B.Tv had changed some prices effective from September and that’s why our bill had increased. Hubby had apparently been e-mailed to advise him. I explained that having only just negotiated a 12 month deal in order to retain us as customers, hubby probrably thought the e-mail didn’t relate to him/us....after all a deal is a deal in his mind.?..as an ex B.T employee too, I find this disappointing. I am not disputing that we are still making a significant saving due to our deal, But we honestly thought that a deal was a deal and that would last for the duration of our 12 month contract. It’s not a nice practice to offer customers deals to keep them and even get them to agree to another contract term, only for B.T to change the price you have agreed after only 3 months. Come on B.T, it must be time to change your ways and apply prices increases as and when customer contracts end or are renewed and not mid way through. Your customers need to be able to trust that what you offered to stop your customers from leaving, will remain so for the agreed length of time. X
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Mid contract price rises

Go to solution

Most providers don't fix the price for the minimum term, in fact AFAIK , only TT and Plusnet guarantee not to raise prices during the minimum term, but even these company's limit that to the 'core' elements like line rental and broadband, other parts like TV , line facility's ( call divert etc) and call prices can still increase even with those supposed fixed price deals, you may find ( too late for you now) that if the price increases  that gives you the opportunity to leave penalty free, or call to negotiate again with the threat of leaving.

0 Ratings
Brunettejet
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Indeed this is probably true, but just so frustrating. We don’t have any fancy add on’s just a telephone line for the broadband. It’s not just a whinge that applies to B.T, as I know providers of other services do this too. Maybe we are old fashioned and still believe that a contract and it’s associated prices should remain thus for the duration of that contract. Otherwise from a customers point of view, they are not really worth the paper they are written on do to speak. We are still getting a good deal in comparison to the standard fees - it’s more the practice of mid term price rises that riled me this morning. A lesson learned for us to keep a close eye on all of the contracts we have for our various services. X
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

BT have just launched their BT Plus which guarantees no price increase during the term.

Stew

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@StewM wrote:

BT have just launched their BT Plus which guarantees no price increase during the term.

Yes, and that's the difference. The minimum term in question is not in fact a contract but a period within a contract during which the customer has agreed to keep the service (though the price increase should be preceded by a notice giving the option to cancel within 30 days despite the initial undertaking). A BT Plus contract disallows an increase during the minimum term even with an option to cancel.

It's all about marketing and not much different from supermarkets heavily promoting cut-price items while quietly upping prices elsewhere hoping customers don't notice. Most customers (me included) put up with broadband hikes in the same way that customers enjoying certain Sainsburys reductions can't be bothered to go to Tesco as well to save a few bob on other items that might be cheaper there. The joys of competition, eh? 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
samsmob
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Bang on! I've had exactly the same problem. I think they are deliberately targeting 'mature' customers like ourselves. I took out a 2 year 'fixed term deal' in December 2017 as advertised on U switch. I did get the email in august about price rises but ignored it as I had a '2 year fixed deal' or so I thought!! After complaining on the phone Bt operatives said "check the T's & C's" a number of times, in other words 'tough'! I have raised a formal complaint, but again the same message comes back. This is mis-selling, it's basically a con! a scam! and they are relying on a good percentage of us (naively thinking we were on a fixed deal!) ignoring the email and screwing us for a few quid more. I dont feel like a customer, I feel like a victim of an elaborate scam!

0 Ratings