Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Dreddfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Mind boggling final bill

Go to solution

I quit BT due to the price increase, I had the letter to say I could leave without penalty before the middle of September, so I waited until the last day and did so.

The service ended on 15th October.

I paid another month upfront because of the timing of the bill and now I have a bill telling me I am in credit but that "You don't need to do anything - we'll carry this forward and credit you on your next bill."

What next bill, I have left?  I was expecting the overpayment to be credited back to my bank.

Also the amount I am in credit seems very low - I was originally billed from 6th October to 5th November, so if my services ceased on 15th October then I make that 9 days to pay for (the FTTP and phone went dead at midnight exactly on the 15th so I should not pay for that days service) - my bill was usually £74.99 BEFORE the price increase (and because I gave notice to leave because of the price increase then it was stated that I would not be charged the increase.) so why am I only in credit for £34.84?  10 days service should only be £21 or so, so I was expecting a refund of around £54 or so.

Plus the bill says that even though I have ceased my service (Max TV, Broadband and calls) I have a charge for TV on there?!

Max 6 Nov-14 Nov 18 £ 6.60
This is the cost of your TV at £22.00 a month, charged in advance from 6
Nov 2018 to 14 Nov 2018

As I said, mind boggling - not to mention the little bill I got a few weeks ago telling me I was £2.50 in credit?

I'd appreciate some help from a mod to sort this out and perhaps arrange for the correct refund to be credited to my bank account.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Mind boggling final bill

Go to solution

If you contact the billing Live Chat they should be able to assist you.

Live Chat

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

@Dreddfanwrote:

I quit BT due to the price increase, I had the letter to say I could leave without penalty before the middle of September, so I waited until the last day and did so.

How did you leave ? did you ask BT to stop the service or did you switch providers ?

0 Ratings
Dreddfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

I just cancelled it completely (as I said, the service ceased).

Not sure why that should matter though?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Because there is a cease charge that would not be applicable if you switched provider (unless to Virgin cable).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

Because there is a cease charge that would not be applicable if you switched provider (unless to Virgin cable).

The cease charge is no longer applied.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-cease-charge/?s_cid=con_FURL_ceasecharges

0 Ratings
Dreddfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

You beat me to it!

In any case there is nothing like that mentioned in the bill.

0 Ratings
Dreddfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
"Bhaskar has left the chat
The chat session has ended"

Fat lot of good the chat did me, the guy couldn't be bothered working it out so just hung up on me!  Great customer service there.

"I have checked and then saw that there is a credit in the BT account of the amount of £34.84. So, I am refunding that amount to your bank account. And after the final bill gets generated, the rest of the amount which you are eligible for the refund, will be refunded to your bank account directly. Does that sounds fine?"

Not really, I left last month - the October bill was generated before I left so I was charged the full month to 5th November.  Obviously I was then expecting a final bill to be generated on the next billing cycle - yet this does not appear to be the case.

FWIW, I make is around £60 I am owed - that's 74.99 / 31 days x 9 days = c.£21.77, and I've already paid £82.50 on the October bill.

Why have I not been issued with a final bill?  Why is my billing seemingly still ongoing with erroneous charges on it relating to the TV service?

I'm really going to need some help here for what does seem a rather simple arithmetic issue.
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

@Dreddfanwrote:

I just cancelled it completely (as I said, the service ceased).

Not sure why that should matter though?

It does matter, if you switch some services like BT Sport and BT Mobile can continue, they don't have a broadband requirement.

As you ceased manually then when did you ask for the cease ? you can ring on the 30th September and be disconnected in a week, you would still be charged for 30 days service though as 30 days notice is required.
If your billing cycle runs during that period it won't factor in a pending cease and you will be billed normally, then 7 days after the service ends you would get credited back on the final bill.

Have you recieved your cancellation confirmation ? It'll say sorry to see you leave etc
That email will mention the final bill or state as you're not stopping all services you won't get a final bill.

It could be a number of things, your best bet is calling the billing team for a breakdown or explanation.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

You should receive a final bill within 10 days of the stop date but this would only apply if all services from BT ceased. 

Try live chat again and ask for the final bill to be produced , don't ask for any breakdown as it may confuse them , keep the request simple  - if they can't do that post back and the Mods will step in.

0 Ratings