Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richcree
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Money owing on old account

Hello all, hoping someone can help.

A default popped up on my experian credit report relating to money owed on an old BT account I closed in 2015. I queried this with Experian and BT responded saying the entry was correct and to call the helpline to discuss. I did this and they said they are unable to access information on the account because it is over 2 years old so I can't get any further information or even pay any outstanding balance. 

My old log in details still work on the accounts section and when I looked the only message is "Your account has been closed and all usage has been billed". 

I'm now totally stuck, I don't really want this default notice on my credit file for the next few years. Anyone had a similar problem and can advise?

Thank you!

Rich

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
JohnC2
Message 2 of 4

Re: Money owing on old account

Hi @richcree, welcome to the forum and sorry that you were unable to get help when you called and can't get this resolved.

What does your report show on How To Track Your Dispute Status?
Have you updated your dispute with information to say you called and could get no information about the debt on the section What to do if your disagree with the outcome.

cheers

John

0 Ratings
richcree
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Hi John,

The report says BT claim the information to be accurate. I have responded to Experian to say that I called and nobody could give me any info. I've asked Experian to help which is the advice BT's helpline gave me. 

I'm not massively optimistic!

Cheers,

RIch

0 Ratings
richcree
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

So Experian have got back to me and BT are saying the information is correct.

I'm pretty sure it's against guidelines to just apply a default to an account with no attempt to contact me (I had to use my email address and mobile phone number to get through BT's security therefore they definitely could have contacted me) and no record of late or missed payments on my credit report, just straight to default.

Very tedious and currently stopping my remortgaging which is costing me serious money so not impressed. 

Anyone out there who can help?

0 Ratings