cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spongeym
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Monthly Broadband usage 40gb - Over Limit

Hi All, I signed up to the BT package (40gb Download, BT Vision + phone)at the beginning of January for a new property I've just brought. The install date was the 7th of Jan, and after a fair bit of decorating, moved in on the weekend of the 11th. During that time the router was unplugged. When I moved in, I couldn't get the TV to work as we had a faulty aerial, so another week passed before I could plug the YouView box into the Router. During this time, I had downloaded approx 3gb of films/TV and streamed approx 2hours worth of TV. Over the course of the month, I've been fairly busy getting the house in order so haven't really used my Laptop or other devices I'd normally have connected, only other devices are 2 x iPhones & 1 x iPad which are used for light browsing. I received a warning on the 22nd Jan stating I'd used 28gb of my 40gb allowance, which I was shocked at. With my previous supplier, although I had unlimited internet with them, I never reached that much in a month, and I'd be streaming, downloading much more video content and have other devices connected e.g. Servers & a NAS that I work from remotely uploading and downloading during the course of the day. So I received a warning on the 22nd warning about being at 28gb and another on the 28th stating I'm at 36gb, I've logged in today (30/1) and I'm at 42gb. I work in IT (Infrastructure & Network Engineer) and am fully aware of how large streaming iPlayer is etc., how to keep my devices in check for malware/viruses & security on the router, in terms of checking the logs for what devices are connected & wifi passwords. However, despite calling BT support numerous times for someone to give me a detail on exactly how this figure can amount to so much in such a short space of time, I've had absolutely no response, and the support provided by the outsourced Technical Team has been nothing short of abysmal. All I'm after is a daily breakdown of my broadband usage, I know they can tell me what sites I've visited, but if they want to charge me for going over my quota, I'd expect a full months report of the days I'd done so. I've searched the forum and found numerous other users with the same problems, but no real definite answer as to why. Can anyone tell me what words to use with their support team to get the information I need so I can assess my broadband usage for each day of this month, and not just a month. e.g. is there a page on the router I've not found yet to display this information.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
sangamo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Monthly Broadband usage 40gb - Over Limit

I have had a similar experience.

On Friday 10th January I received an email warning me that I had used 8GB of my 10GB monthly allowance. My average monthly usage is 5 to 6 GB and has been consistent for many months. My usage pattern has not changed and I have not introduced any new or additional devices. Only my wife and I have access to the router.

On checking the Broadband Usage Monitor over the weekend and talking to the BT Helpdesk on Monday 13th January I established that I had allegedly used around 5GB on each of Thursday and Friday and that the monitor was now indicating I had used a total of 15.86GB; three times my normal monthly usage in under half the month or, at that rate, surcharges of £5 per day. The router was switched off on the Sunday morning and not powered until Tuesday 14th January. Nevertheless, when I enquired BT advised that a further 1.2GB of data had been attributed to my account during Monday 13th.

Mercifully my usage now appears to be being recorded more accurately but as the total stands at just over 20GB I face a bill of over £15 in surcharges.

Despite spending more than 5 hours on the phone to BT Helpdesks plus several hours awaiting them to phone me back I am no further forward. Also most of my genuine broadband usage this month has now involved investigating this issue. I am NOT happy!

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

Have a look at this thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Re-Broadband-usage-exceeding-monthly-limit/td-p/1134656

Also BT are able to give you a list  of your Usage for the last 31 days.  If you are lucky you may be able to get this data too. I can.

See

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Usage-Monitor-now-shows-Current-Month-Last-12-Months-Last...

0 Ratings
spongeym
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Well I have got a response from BT, and they have given me the last 7 days breakdown for my account as per below.

• 24/01: 245mb
  • 25/01: 1184mb
  • 26/01: 546mb
  • 27/01: 3018mb
  • 28/01: 1464mb
  • 29/01: 1565mb

I've questioned the figures as during each of these days, I didn't have a device on my network that could have amounted to so much downloads.  

All that I've had time to do this week is decorating and watching the Liverpool vs Everton match!!

My thoughts are that even though my account states the YouView is included in my package, it hasn't been configured correctly and when watching any Internet channels, they have counted against my downloads this month.

I'll keep you posted on any response I get.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

@spongeym wrote:

Well I have got a response from BT, and they have given me the last 7 days breakdown for my account as per below.

• 24/01: 245mb
  • 25/01: 1184mb
  • 26/01: 546mb
  • 27/01: 3018mb
  • 28/01: 1464mb
  • 29/01: 1565mb

I've questioned the figures as during each of these days, I didn't have a device on my network that could have amounted to so much downloads.  

All that I've had time to do this week is decorating and watching the Liverpool vs Everton match!!

My thoughts are that even though my account states the YouView is included in my package, it hasn't been configured correctly and when watching any Internet channels, they have counted against my downloads this month.

I'll keep you posted on any response I get.

At the bottom of my usage statistics there is this statement (01/02/2014):

What about YouView usage? If you are a YouView customer and subscribe to BT Vision, you will not be charged for any YouView usage. However, due to technical reasons, some YouView content is currently contributing to the usage monitor even though it's exempt. We realise that this is confusing and makes the broadband usage monitor inaccurate. However, we are working to fix this issue as soon as possible. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
oksnab
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

hi if you check the thread as suggested above you will see its best to get all the daily data upload and download. most of us with this problem all experienced very high upload data arround 11-13th jan ..like 70 G over 2 days. then test you upload and download speed. several of us had upload figures in excess of daily capacity.
then suggest you ring tech support insist its raised to cat 2 level.record it as a complaint and get complaint no. some of us have then had a good response and its being checked out. but i still havent had a full explanation. i would recomment you consider switching to unlimited . appreciate its dearer but you will lose the will to live trying to resolve this problem through BT call centre and i dont have any confidence it wont happen again and l have more to life than checking my daily internet usage.
interesting that they have placed that notice about usage .havent seen that myself.
hope this helps and good luck
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
spongeym
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

The issue that I have is, I can only see what my overall months usage is, along with a breakdown of download & upload.  There isnt a 7 day breakdown.

The only way to get a 7 day overview is by phoning BT Support for this info.

I understand your point about switching to Unlimited as this could turn out to be a fruitless excercise.  However, why should I pay for the Unlimited service just because BT cannot provide an accurate monitoring service.  I'd at least expect the Router to give more detailed information on usage per device (tied to the MAC address possibly?).  Having said that, since I've spoken to BT, my usage monitor has been unavailable!!

I have had a response from BT, basically the definive test for them is to turn the router off for a 24 hour period to then check the following day if there was any activity on the line, if there is nothing, the there is no fauly.  I'm not 100% sold on this idea, but will give this a try as they cannot prove that any devices behind the router do not have virus' etc. and don't have the resources to send an engineer to each customer who has had this problem.

0 Ratings
PCT
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

See here

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Re-Broadband-usage-exceeding-monthly-limit/td-p/1134656/p...

Its a BT b***s up.  My monitor is now turned off.  Read the comments of the BT manager.  I tested with just Youview streaming and all other devices disabled (hassle for me).  My reading went up 1Gb.  L2 now say they know about issue and then suddenly I get told I dont have to worry not being charged.  But I only joined last week,  Lot of hassle.  I am writing to Ombudsman anyway over the poor service with my account but will they look at this as its Broadband? but clearly a scam as there so much info online saying their is an issue yet the manager says I can rely on the online tool even though it is nothing like the hub stats but he explains - that items outside my network can increase my usage.  Is that legal?

0 Ratings