Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Moorcroft Debt Recovery

Hello,

I received from Moorcroft a letter saying that I owe close to £1500 to BT!!!

I don't even know how that is possible, especially since I am using virgin for ages. My last BT contract was closed in August 2013. 

Shall I just ignore their letter? What else should I do? 

Thanks for your help!

Chris

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Message 2 of 13

Re: Moorcroft Debt Recovery

Perhaps slightly over the limits for a small claims issue.

A quick visit to your solicitors and a telephone call from them could fix the issue. Might cost you £10 or so.

Otherwise you should take your time and wait until the “Moorcroft” become more insistent and substantiate their claim.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 13

Hi @Chris37   I would follow the advise given on the Moorcroft website “You should contact Moorcroft as soon as possible. If you have a query in relation to your account, please let us know and we will refer to our clients on your behalf where necessary.”.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

@Chris37 

That amount would seem large for a residential account, so was it a business account?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Not at all, just a residential account. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

If this is in fact a debt from 2013 for which you have no knowledge and have had no previous communication for more than six years then I believe it would be classed as 'Statute Barred' and consequentially not enforceable. I wouldn't ignore it though, if you contact Moorcroft its probably best not to reference any previous contracts with BT, but rather ask them to elaborate on the details of this claim.

This could perhaps just be a phishing exercise?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 13

Moorcroft purchases outstanding debts from other companies for a discounted rate and then uses its own staff to chase payment for these debts.

What I would suggest, is to carry out a free credit check of yourself. As far as I know, any unpaid BT bills would affect your credit rating. You wouldn't want an erroneous black mark on your report.

As pointed out, 6 years is allowed before utility type bills must be written off.

Hope all goes well.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 13

@Chris37 

You may also wish to contact your local Citizens Advice office for advice/information.

Most are currently contactable by phone/e-mail due to COVID-19

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

There are 3 different credit agencies that you need to check, and as said after 6 years the debt is statue bared, but that 6 years could be complicated if they waited sometime before adding a default.

it might well be a phishing exercise from Moorcroft and they’ve written to everyone with a similar name to the owner of the debt. 

There is a good forum run by Martin Lewis (moneysavingexpert.com) that has a section devoted to this sort of thing. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Hello,

thanks for all the feedback. I checked my credit score and it is 932. Does that help inform what I should do?

0 Ratings