Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_smm_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Moved home, had confirmation email but no dial tone

Go to solution
Hi folks,
Hoping for a little help. I'm an existing BT customer and I moved into a new house (brand new build) on Saturday. A couple of weeks ago I let BT know and they booked an engineer visit and the transfer for today.

A few days later I got an email cancelling the engineer saying they'd checked and it wasn't necessary. I got a text and email over the weekend confirming it would all go ahead today as planned.

About an hour ago I got an email and text confirming that services are all set up and ready to use. I pick up the phone and it's silence, no dial tone. If I ring my new number it just keeps ringing.

There's a small grey BT box on the outside of the house by the front door but no "main" socket inside as I've come to expect.

Should I get service as soon as the confirmation messages come through? If so are BT in the habit of specutively connecting new homes on the off chance I went with them, or should I in fact have got an engineer visit today to hook me up? I'd love to get this all sorted before Christmas but it seems unlikely now.

And of course I have rubbish mobile reception here so I can't even use that instead. And yes, I'm on BT mobile..

Appreciate any help as always,
Thanks,
Si
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moved home, had confirmation email but no dial tone

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

The builders should have made a box inside the house to fit the socket, and provided any cabling.

Openreach would then visit, on behalf of BT Retail, fit a master socket, and connect it up and test for dial-tone.

Are there no sockets near where the phone line comes in fro outside? There may be a blanking plate on it, with the phone wires coiled up inside?

Either way, you will have to report the problem to BT Retail, and they will need to get Openreach to visit.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
_smm_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Thanks for the response. The are phone sockets throughout the house, but nothing that looks like a master socket.

I'll go play with BT Detail's support line and see where I get to. Infuriating that the scheduled engineer visit was cancelled..

If they can't help me I'll be back.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

@_smm_ wrote:
Thanks for the response. The are phone sockets throughout the house, but nothing that looks like a master socket.

That is often the case, as they are simply daisy chained together.

Normally the one in the hallway, nearest the front door, will have the external cable coming in.

If you look behind the most likely one, you will see only one set of wires connected to it, with the external wires just hanging there if its not been connected up yet.

All the other sockets will have two sets of cables, one in and one out. All apart from the last one in the chain, possibly in a back bedroom.

A master socket should look like this.

nte.jpg

0 Ratings
_smm_
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
Engineer came today, there was no master socket like I thought, so he fitted one, chased it back through two cabinets to find the issue with the original connection and now we have a phone and internet sorted. Now to wait for them to increase capacity at the exchange so we can get fibre..

Cheers for your help,
Si
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@_smm_ That's great, I'm glad the engineer got you sorted.

0 Ratings