Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdamD1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Moved out, not cancelled and new owner wants BT broadband

Go to solution

This is a tricky situation.

I have sold my flat and moved into a friends' place where there is already Sky broadband and no need for another connection. However, my contract with BT is not up until August and I enquired about cancelling early and was informed that there would be charges of over £100, but if i simply cancel on the anniversary of taking out the contract it will just be the £31 fee. I have been contacted by the new owner about this because BT have told her that they need to disconnect my line first, but I have nowhere to move it to and the charges to cancel early are prohibitively high.

Advice appreciated.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Moved out, not cancelled and new owner wants BT broadband

Go to solution

Nothing tricky about it, you need to cancel the line and pay the charges.

0 Ratings
AdamD1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Hmm.

Is it free to move the line? If so, I shall just do that until I cancel.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Not sure about that, but presume only if you take over an existing line rather than having a new line provided.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

if line where you are living now is used by SKY then you will need a new line installed and probably free but will require a new contract - or you pay for line installation which is dearer than cancellation fee

caught between a rock and a hard place!

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
AdamD1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Problem solved. I'm just going to give her my router and she's going to pay for the final couple of months and then set up her own.

Not sure why I didn't think of that in the first place! Smiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @AdamD1,

Ideally, I'd recommend transferring your line over to the new address but I can tell that's not an option as your friend may get their own cancellation charges.

Just remember, any call charges, possible usage charges (if it isn't unlimited) will all be liable to you as your name is on the account.

If you want to double check the charges for stopping your service, it's best if you spoke with our Customer Options Team on 0800800030, option 1.

Good luck with your move.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
AdamD1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
Thanks.

No, it isn't possible to transfer.

All ok about call charges- I've been assured there won't be any but I will keep an eye on my online account daily.
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution
Can you get a block on outgoing calls but leave the line active for incoming and internet? Might be worth considering getting something in writing if you can acknowledging the transfer of use incase of some query later, ie downloading copyrighted materials or worse, although if you have the legal paperwork with dates on I'd assume that would cover it.
0 Ratings