cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Moving Home

What happens if I make moving out my house to my parents and will not be staying in my current home. What happens as I will not be switching to another address as my parents have sky. Can I just cancel my contract ?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Moving Home

Hi @Chriswilkie1 

Welcome to the Community!

Do you know if you’re out of contract?

If you’re in contract - you will have to pay early termination fees.

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

I am not out of contract but it’s no fault of my own that I have to leave my house so why do I have to pay a termination fee 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

@Chriswilkie1 wrote:

I am not out of contract but it’s no fault of my own that I have to leave my house so why do I have to pay a termination fee 

Because it's not BT's fault either.

When you signed up to the contract you agreed to pay a fee if you terminated the contract early.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

The termination fee will be massive. Can I still pay my contract and class it as moving home, but I do not move into my new house until April as it is not built even though I am moving out of my current home at the end of January ? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

It would be cheaper to have an extra phone line installed in your parent`s house, and move your service to there. Then once your house is finished, you can then do another home move to the new house.

That would allow you to continue your contract, and would give you your own phone line and Internet connection.

I am sure that must be possible, I have asked for advice from a moderator.

The main thing is that its an additional line, and not a working line takeover.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 10

Hi @Chriswilkie1 the advice give by @Keith_Beddoe is correct and to avoid the cancellation charges you could get a second line connected at your parent's house and then move the service to your new house when it's ready.

cheers
John

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Would there be a charge involved with getting a second line at my parents ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

@Chriswilkie1 wrote:

Would there be a charge involved with getting a second line at my parents ?

If its a moving home order, then there may be a reduced charge, as the landline part is renewed anyway for 12 months. Again, I would  have to ask, as I am just a customer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 10

Hi @Chriswilkie1 the connection charge would depend on the package you have and if the broadband package you have is available at the new address (ie if you are on Superfast Fibre and able to transfer it then the Price List shows no connection charge).  
As you would need to ensure that an additional line is fitted and your parent's line not transferred you would be best to call and speak with the Home Movers team and explain the situation and they will be able to help you get the correct order placed.

Cheers
John

0 Ratings