cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
philly_n
Message 1 of 7

Moving House

I am currently a BT infinity customer (paying approx £35 per month) with my 2 year contract due to end August 2018.  I am due to sell my house start of July 2017.  I will be moving into a new build house which will hopefully be completed in January 2018.  In the meantime, I will be moving in with a family member's house who already have an existing phone line and internet provider. 

Can I continue to pay for my package whilst I live at my family member's house or even have my contract suspended/frozen until I move into my new house?  I only ask as it appears that paying an early termination charge (BT quoted me £250 to cancel) will cost more than me continuing to pay my current monthly payments up until January 2018 (approx total £210).

Any advice or guidance on this matter would be much appreciated.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
ZPE
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moving House

If you are locked in a contract, it's best to ride it out to avoid paying the early leaving fee especially since it'll cost more to break it.

Assuming your rental price isn't fixed, I'd wait for a probable price increase at which point you can leave BT without any penalty. If by some miracle it doesn't happen, you'll end up paying less anyway.

0 Ratings
philly_n
Message 3 of 7

How can I 'ride it out' and keep my contract when I will be moving to a family member's house who already has an internet provider?
0 Ratings
philly_n
Message 4 of 7

Like I said, I'll be living with my family (who are already tied into a internet provider contract) for 6 months before my new built house is ready.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

@philly_n

You have two options.

Cancel your existing contract and pay cancellation charges.

Pay to have an additional line installed at your family members house, and transfer the remainder of your contract to their house. You would have to pay £130 for an additional line.

The first option would be the cheapest, but I would not rely on being able to get service at your new build house right away, even if the house is finished, as new builds can take a long time for phone service to be provided.

0 Ratings
philly_n
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for this.

What happens if I decide to do nothing until I move to my new built house?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

@philly_n wrote:
Thanks for this.

What happens if I decide to do nothing until I move to my new built house?

The person moving into your existing house will place an order for service. A letter will be sent to you saying that someone wants to take over your line.

You have 10 days to cancel that request,and that would stop the takeover, but they would not be able to get service unless they installed a new line, or they would use your line and you would get billed for it.

If you do nothing, then your line will be taken over, your contract will be cancelled, and you will be chased for the full cancellation fee.

If you do not pay, then it will be passed to a debt collection agency and incur extra charges, and affect your credit rating.

If you are getting a mortgage on your new build home, then that could result in it being refused or cancelled by the bank or building society.

Not a good outcome, so I suggest you simply pay the cancellation charge.

0 Ratings