cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markglen29
Message 1 of 9

Moving back in with my parents temporarily - can I keep my account?

Go to solution

Hi

I'm moving back in with my parents at the end of this month, after living in a rented flat for the last 3 years or so.  I have a BT account which I have absolutely no problems with.  It doesn't expire until mid-2018 either anyway.  I previously had spoken to a BT customer service agent who suggested two options - either move my connection into my parents house until I find my new place, or that they could put some sort of notice on the account for moving, however they would need the postcode of the address I'm moving to for that to be completed. 

I am not able to move my account to my parent's house as things stand and I may not know where I'm moving to myself for a number of months.  My question is - can I literally just keep paying my bill for the next handful of months, keep my equipment (HomeHub, YouView, etc), and then complete a proper 'home move' when I find my own place once again? 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Moving back in with my parents temporarily - can I keep my account?

Go to solution

@markglen29

Welcome to this user forum.

Carrying on paying is not an option.

The person moving into your rented flat will place an order for service. A letter will be sent to you saying that someone wants to take over your line, which you will not receive unless your mail is forwarded.

You have 10 days to cancel that request, and that would stop the takeover, but they would not be able to get service unless they installed a new line, or they would use your line and you would get billed for it.

If you do nothing, then your line will be taken over, your contract will be cancelled, and you will be chased for the full cancellation fee.

If you do not pay, then it will be passed to a debt collection agency and incur extra charges, and affect your credit rating, which may stop you getting a new rental agreement.

You have no option but to cancel, and pay the cancellation charges.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
markglen29
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Are you kidding?  So, because I'm moving out, I'm now going to be landed with £300+ worth of cancellation charges for the matter of a couple of months?

I'm not concerned about collection agencies, I've never caused any issues with my account payments..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

Mid 2018 is more than just a couple of months, it over a year away. We are only in 2017.

0 Ratings
markglen29
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

I'm talking about the couple of months I'll be without my own place, I'm well aware of how the calendar works..

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@markglen29 wrote:

Are you kidding?  So, because I'm moving out, I'm now going to be landed with £300+ worth of cancellation charges for the matter of a couple of months?

You took out a contract to enjoy a significant discount, why are you suprised there are penalties for breaking the contract.

Tags (1)
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

@markglen29 wrote:

You took out a contract to enjoy a significant discount, why are you surprised there are penalties for breaking the contract.

And there will be deferred equipment charges that would apply, as your hub and vision box are owned by BT, until the end of your contract. If you cancel, then you will be liable for the full cost of those items.

0 Ratings
markglen29
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

I'm surprised that there's no common sense. I'm not the first to have ever done this and I won't be the last. you obviously didn't read my full post liquorice. I have never had any issues with my contract, the exact reason I had enquired was due to the fact that I had no problems and was looking for a way to continue said contract.

You appear to have taken the post as far as it's gonna go anyway so if you could close it thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

There have been many posts on this forum from people in the same situation, and there is no option apart from to pay cancellation charges as you are in a legally binding contract. Its not a case of common sense, BT are a business.

The other option is to pay for an additional phone line to be installed at your parent`s house, and move your contract to there, but that would involve a new 12 month phone contract and installation charges.

0 Ratings