Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Moving home and taking over another's contract

Go to solution

We're currently half way through our contract  for FTTP in our rented house, but have to give up the tenancy due to needing to move in with my Father in Law following the death of my Mother-in-Law. The house we're moving into is rural and gets 1.5mbit ADSL on a good day. The phone and broadband contract for that location is with BT.

When I took out the FTTP contract I explained that we were living in a rental property and may need to leave before the end of the contract term. I was advised that I could take my contract with me, and if they were not able to provide the same service at the new address then I could terminate the contract without charge. This is our current situation - not FTTP possible.

We are however, willing to take over the existing BT contract at my Father-in-Law's place, but think this may be too complicated to sort and keep his existing phone number. Losing his existing phone number is an absolute no-no. Anybody any experience of a similar situation, or suggestions for our best approach?

Thanks

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Moving home and taking over another's contract

Go to solution

You can not take over a contract. Your Father in Law would need to cease his contract, which may incur cancellation charges and the loss of his phone number. You would need to take out a new contract or move and "downgrade" your present one to his address.

If you call BT on 0800.800.030 somebody should be able to give you advice as regards your options and which may be best for both you and your Father in Law.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Moving home and taking over another's contract

Go to solution

will do, thank you for the prompt help 🙂

0 Ratings