cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Moving home - but keeping both services for period of time

We are on the Full Fibre 900 with BT Halo 1 package, but I am not too sure when this contract was taken out. This is probably more than 1 year ago.

Next year we are planning to move. We've checked and the same package is available at the new property, although I believe engineer appointment is required to install the fibre box.

For a period of time (around 1-2 months), we would require internet to be active at current and new property.

What is the best way around this? Do I sign a new contract at new property, and then cancel the contract at current property when I move out?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moving home - but keeping both services for period of time

Yes that seems the obvious thing to do, there is no reason why your accounts need to be linked , in fact getting a ‘new’ service into the new property could attract ‘new customer’ offers , when the time comes you simply cease the service at the old property, the only issue could be if the phone number is required to be moved to the new property , but depending on where the new property is, that may not be possible anyway…..
Message 3 of 7

The landline is now VOIP, so no more copper landline. I believe the same in new property. It would be nice if we can port the number over, but as we rarely use the landline anyway it shouldn't be an issue.

Signing on as a new customer makes sense, I will have a look when it's closer to the date. I am just wondering if there is a more seamless way around this.

I am also wondering if there would be a early cancellation fee on my existing contract?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Obviously if you simply cease a service within a minimum term then early termination charges will apply, if outside any minimum term, you just give the required notice ( something like 30 days ) , the advantage of a home mover process is that even inside a minimum term there are no ETC’s , just a new minimum term at the new address, and if possible the phone number moves with you, but that would stop you having service at two addresses simultaneously.
If you have DV at your current address , and the new property would also be DV , it’s unclear ( to me at least ) if the PSTN geographic restrictions will still apply ( in other words you cannot take a number from one physical exchange area to another ) so if the new address were proper to a different ( PSTN ) exchange to the old address , you may not be able to take the number with you , even if you used the home mover service , if the addresses are close enough to each other that they fall within the same exchange area, then moving the number without using the home mover service will be a problem …..it can ( usually ) be done but not seamlessly.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Thanks again for the reply.

I did enquire about home mover process but that means I would loose the connection at current property when the line is activated at the new property. Unfortunately I cannot have downtime so would need some overlap for reassurance.

I will double check what my contract terms are, can't seem to find it anywhere in MyBT.

New property is not that far away from current one (within 5 miles) so shouldn't be an issue with DV. I'm not that fussed if I don't retain the number 🙂

I'm just looking for the best approach for this.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

@jonathanc8888 wrote:

I will double check what my contract terms are, can't seem to find it anywhere in MyBT.

Try MyBT > Your products > Manage Broadband > See your contract length (bottom of page).

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Message 7 of 7

Found it! Thanks!

Over 420 days till the contract ends so there will definitely be a cancellation fee 😞

0 Ratings