cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
drewg
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Moving home - how can I leave my phone number with the previous property?

Hi all,

I've searched but not found an answer to this one. I want to:

1) Move my phone line to a new property 

2) Set up a new account for the current property (for someone still living there)

3) Move my current phone number, to the new account, on the current property.

To be clear - I don't want to move my phone number to my new property. I want to move my phone number to a new account - held by someone else - on the existing property.

My question: what is the best way of arranging this? Can BT provide account management for a complex move?

Read on for gory details of how we find ourselves in this mess.

A short history - how I lost my partner's father's phone number

A few months ago, my partner and I moved in with my partner's father (hereafter: PF) while we prepared to buy a new property. At this point we had no property to move our still-in-contract BT package to.

BT told us that to prevent a large charge for the remainder of our minimum term period, we should move the account to PF's house, but keep 'putting off' the installation until we had a new address to have the service re-instated.

When it came close to the original installation date (you can specify a maximum of a couple months from move date), I asked BT to 'put off' the installation by a few weeks. They obliged. 

What BT didn't mention was that the current account holder (PF) would automatically have their line/number disconnected, and account closed, on the orginal installation day. My 'putting off' of my installation day had no effect on the disconnection, thus PF was left without a working phone. Worse, the phone number (held for ~20 years) was lost.

After much wrangling with BT, we managed to get my line installation expedited, and PF's phone number attached to my line.

The current state: PF has no BT account. I have the same BT account I've always had, but with PF's phone number.

My partner and I will move out ASAP. PF wants to have his own BT account, and his own phone number. If necessary, I can close my BT account.

Thanks for reading!

My life is in your hands lovely BTCare people (you should meet PF...)

Andrew

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Moving home - how can I leave my phone number with the previous property?

The moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to three working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hi drewg,

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for posting. I can look into this for you. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile. Once I have the details we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
drewg
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

Thanks David, I'll do that now.
0 Ratings